Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is this true? Ring in Your Opinions.

Saw this comment this morning in response to a NFL draft pick article and I thought...is this true? Sounds about right.

A woman goes after the wealthiest man she can attract. A man goes after the hottest woman he can afford.

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    If it is true, all I can say is they are some very shallow people and probably will be miserable their whole lives :ohwell:
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    i dont think its true well not for me
  • rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    I'd say not true, at least in my case. My husband was doing ok when we met, but he was not making the 'big bucks'. I was not attracted to him because of wealth. Now however, he could definitely afford someone much hotter than me (or could pay to make that hot :laugh: ) but he is still very happy with me! I don't think a woman that was shallow enough to be attracted to his wealth could make him as near as happy as I do!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    If it is true, all I can say is they are some very shallow people and probably will be miserable their whole lives :ohwell:

Ditto that. Definitely wasn't true for me.
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    good to see sanity still reigns in the world then :)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Yeah, definitely not true. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost nine years and for part of that time he was homeless and sleeping on the street (literally). He's now in college for engineering. I'm far more impressed at his ability to persevere and aim for his dreams when everything is against him than I ever would be by dollar signs.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Saw this comment this morning in response to a NFL draft pick article and I thought...is this true? Sounds about right.

A woman goes after the wealthiest man she can attract. A man goes after the hottest woman he can afford.

Depends on where the opinion comes from as in the media this is stereotyped to an extreme.

Where I live a wealthy man seems to attract women like bees to honey and the guys I know steer well clear of these type of women.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I think its true and the women who tell you different are probably in denial or lying. Guys will probably be honest. They're not gonna go up to an ugly girl just because they can see her personality glowing from across the room, lol.

Its not necessarily shallow unless that's the only thing you look at. It's definitely a large factor when someone is picking a partner for life. As a woman, you always want a man who can be a provider. That isn't saying he would have to fund your entire lifestyle but it feels nice to know that you can be comfortable if you choose to take off time to raise small children for example. Most people wouldn't prefer to trust a stranger to raise their kids while they're both at work. While I know it happens and I don't knock people who need nanny's and baby sitters, but it is taking a risk to trust someone else to raise your children in their most formidable years.

For guys, they take a lot of pride in their wife looking good. It sounds a little screwed up, but you have to be physically attracted to a person to keep a strong relationship going.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    I think its true and the women who tell you different are probably in denial or lying.

As a woman, you always want a man who can be a provider. That isn't saying he would have to fund your entire lifestyle but it feels nice to know that you can be comfortable if you choose to take off time to raise small children for example. Most people wouldn't prefer to trust a stranger to raise their kids while they're both at work. While I know it happens and I don't knock people who need nanny's and baby sitters, but it is taking a risk to trust someone else to raise your children in their most formidable years.
    Uh...bite me? Or perhaps "speak for yourself" is more polite. First, I'm not a liar or in denial; the man I've chosen to spend my life with doesn't have a penny to his name and never has. I really don't care because he's a good person and we love and respect each other. Second, I do not make all my decisions based on hypothetical children I don't want in the first place. Third, it is NOT taking a risk to trust your children to people who make a career out of child care. My parents both worked full-time and I was in daycare at only a few weeks old. My mom ran her own business and helped give my brother and I a very nice lifestyle.

Not to generalize, but generalizations are bad.
  • rachleb
    I think its true and the women who tell you different are probably in denial or lying. Guys will probably be honest. They're not gonna go up to an ugly girl just because they can see her personality glowing from across the room, lol.

Its not necessarily shallow unless that's the only thing you look at. It's definitely a large factor when someone is picking a partner for life. As a woman, you always want a man who can be a provider. That isn't saying he would have to fund your entire lifestyle but it feels nice to know that you can be comfortable if you choose to take off time to raise small children for example. Most people wouldn't prefer to trust a stranger to raise their kids while they're both at work. While I know it happens and I don't knock people who need nanny's and baby sitters, but it is taking a risk to trust someone else to raise your children in their most formidable years.

For guys, they take a lot of pride in their wife looking good. It sounds a little screwed up, but you have to be physically attracted to a person to keep a strong relationship going.

I get what you are saying, but the question was not whether or not looks matter and whether or not a woman wants a man who can provide for her. Those things can affect who you date and ultimately marry, but the question was weather or not a woman would go after the WEALTHIEST man she could attract or whether a man would go after the HOTTEST woman he could attract.

I did not go after the wealthiest man I could attract, and I can assure you I am not lying about that :) I can't speak for my husband, because he still claims I am one hot woman (and I don't even cost him that much!)

If I had gone for the wealthiest man I could attract, I wouldn't be here typing this, I'd be getting my little bichon ready with his summer clothes so that we could get ready to visit our summer home in France :laugh:
  • victoria4321
    I think its true and the women who tell you different are probably in denial or lying.

As a woman, you always want a man who can be a provider. That isn't saying he would have to fund your entire lifestyle but it feels nice to know that you can be comfortable if you choose to take off time to raise small children for example. Most people wouldn't prefer to trust a stranger to raise their kids while they're both at work. While I know it happens and I don't knock people who need nanny's and baby sitters, but it is taking a risk to trust someone else to raise your children in their most formidable years.
    Uh...bite me? Or perhaps "speak for yourself" is more polite. First, I'm not a liar or in denial; the man I've chosen to spend my life with doesn't have a penny to his name and never has. I really don't care because he's a good person and we love and respect each other. Second, I do not make all my decisions based on hypothetical children I don't want in the first place. Third, it is NOT taking a risk to trust your children to people who make a career out of child care. My parents both worked full-time and I was in daycare at only a few weeks old. My mom ran her own business and helped give my brother and I a very nice lifestyle.

And luckily you turned out okay. Just because a person makes a career out of something doesn't make them automatically good at it. You still take a risk when you trust any stranger with your kids, you have to at least admit that much. You're also not the norm since you don't want kids. I'm pretty sure most married couples want children some day.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    If it is true, then I am never going to be married or go out on a date...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus

And luckily you turned out okay. Just because a person makes a career out of something doesn't make them automatically good at it. You still take a risk when you trust any stranger with your kids, you have to at least admit that much. You're also not the norm since you don't want kids. I'm pretty sure most married couples want children some day.
    Honestly, most parents are given too much credit. People who are licensed childcare providers have to meet certain qualifications and are subject to regulation. Any idiot can have a kid and no one bothers to see if they have any clue what they're doing. And even if most married couples want kids, it's a leap to say that most of them want mom to stay home and dad to work. It's stereotypical and inaccurate to make that sweeping claim.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Nope-Ty
  • victoria4321

I get what you are saying, but the question was not whether or not looks matter and whether or not a woman wants a man who can provide for her. Those things can affect who you date and ultimately marry, but the question was weather or not a woman would go after the WEALTHIEST man she could attract or whether a man would go after the HOTTEST woman he could attract.

I did not go after the wealthiest man I could attract, and I can assure you I am not lying about that :) I can't speak for my husband, because he still claims I am one hot woman (and I don't even cost him that much!)

If I had gone for the wealthiest man I could attract, I wouldn't be here typing this, I'd be getting my little bichon ready with his summer clothes so that we could get ready to visit our summer home in France :laugh:

I agree with you there, I didn't answer the question to the wealthiest or hottest person. I do think a women will go after the wealthiest man she can attract but in order for her to do that she's gotta be pretty hot herself.

This more so applies to initial attraction. When women meet guys they ask things like "what do you do for a living?, what do you do for fun?" all these are questions subtlety are asking how much the guy has whether you realize it or not. If a guy you first meet is attractive but tells you "I'm unemployed and I sit in my moms basement playing video games all day" no adult women is going to say "Great! When's the first date?!"
  • victoria4321

Honestly, most parents are given too much credit. People who are licensed childcare providers have to meet certain qualifications and are subject to regulation. Any idiot can have a kid and no one bothers to see if they have any clue what they're doing. And even if most married couples want kids, it's a leap to say that most of them want mom to stay home and dad to work. It's stereotypical and inaccurate to make that sweeping claim.

I didn't say they all want to stay home, I said they would all like the option. You can honestly say you wouldn't want to have the comfort to make that choice yourself rather than it be out of necessity? Some times people's feelings and opinions change. A long time career woman can have children and suddenly want to be very involved in their lives. Any women would admit it would be great to have the option. Its a big sacrifice to give up a career to be a stay at home parent.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Not true, but it's probably a good thing to take into consideration at least.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    end-well-6.jpg
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Not true
  • rachleb
    I agree with you there, I didn't answer the question to the wealthiest or hottest person. I do think a women will go after the wealthiest man she can attract but in order for her to do that she's gotta be pretty hot herself.

This more so applies to initial attraction. When women meet guys they ask things like "what do you do for a living?, what do you do for fun?" all these are questions subtlety are asking how much the guy has whether you realize it or not. If a guy you first meet is attractive but tells you "I'm unemployed and I sit in my moms basement playing video games all day" no adult women is going to say "Great! When's the first date?!"

You are right, this does happen, but I don't think it is necessarily the norm. I do think there are people out there who put more stock into the type of person they are going to marry, as far as values, ethics, beliefs, etc. go. With the exception of one gold-digging woman I have the displeasure of being acquainted with, I know some of the most beautiful women who are happily married to 'regular' guys that they were attracted to because of some other quality than wealth. They have families and live frugal lives and are still some of the happiest people I know. You are right about the basement guy though, that would be a tough sell!

When I first met my husband, he was an 'underling' in the company I worked for (we didn't work in the same dept.). I knew how much he made already, and so I didn't have to ask him those questions. He lived with his dad, and I paid for our first date! However, I saw past all that because he displayed qualities that were important to me. Fast forward to today, and I can't believe how much our life has changed for the better! If I hadn't been able to see past his living with his dad in a crappy job where he was over-worked, I wouldn't be the wonderfully blessed person I am today!