How would you make this recipe healthier?

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons peanut butter
8 cups popped Healthy Pop Butter Flavor

This is for popcorn balls.

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I don't know if you can.....lol- just practice portion control while eating it. I guess you could always sub the sugar for splenda/truvia.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Sub sugar for stevia
    Sub butter for light butter or Brummel and Brown yogurt butter (45 cal/ tbsp)
    Sub peanut butter for pb2 (45 cal/ 2 tbsp)
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    I would use the lightest peanut butter that you can find and reduce the sugar (maybe cut it in half?) I would also use the lightest butter or margarine I could find without using the ones that are only light because they are mostly water - otherwise they might get soggy. Is the healthy pop a microwave popcorn? Have you considered hot air popping from plain kernels?
  • okcmomto3
    okcmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Sub sugar for stevia

What is pb2?
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup

I would use:

Splenda instead of the sugar
    I Can't Believe it's not Butter Light instead of butter
    Some kind of light Peanut Butter
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    sugar substitute or applesauce?
    Light butter
    low fat PB
    plain home popped popcorn?
  • okcmomto3
    I was hoping maybe honey could be used in place of the sugar and corn syrup. But I was told I had to use to corn syrup. I really do not want to at all. And because of that may pass on making these. I saw a cute craft you can do with kids for Monthers day with this recipe. Maybe I will find something else to add in it.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    er,um, i would substitute the whole recipe for something else! Junk food is junk food. (I am not being holier than thou, btw, if you saw my diary today you would see that I ate two donuts for breakfast.)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup

Stevia instead of sugar, light or very light margarine, PB2 instead of the regular peanut butter, is healthy pop butter flavour the popcorn? If so then straight plain popped corn
  • okcmomto3
    er,um, i would substitute the whole recipe for something else! Junk food is junk food. (I am not being holier than thou, btw, if you saw my diary today you would see that I ate two donuts for breakfast.)

No your fine! I understand!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I would use air-popped popcorn. Reduce the sugar by 25%. And maybe replace the corn syrup with maple syrup for more flavor. (Less as well.). I'd use real butter. You can probably reduce it a little bit too.
  • okcmomto3
    Thanks everyone for answering! I appreciate it!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup

Besides eating caramel corn rice cakes ,, I'd try this instead:
    1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons Splenda brown sugar (it is made from real brown sugar and splenda mixed)
    2 Tablespoons corn syrup (the corn syrup is added to keep the sugar from being grainy
    3 Tablespoons of Land o Lakes lighter butter. Its made with real butter and canola oil and has half the calories of butter but not water in it that would ruin your recipe
    3 Tablespoons of no sugar added peanut butter
    8 cups of air popped popcorn. If you dont have an air popper, microwave it in paper lunch bags with the top folded down tight. You dont have to add any oil at all.
    Let me know how it turns out!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Sub sugar for stevia

What is pb2?

http://bellplantation.com/

It is magical <3 I don't know how I lived my whole life without it!
  • use splenda instead of sugar (0 cal per serving)
    use i cant believe its not butter spray instead of butter (0 cal per serving)
    use better n peanutbutter instead of regular peanutbutter (100cal per serving)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    I was hoping maybe honey could be used in place of the sugar and corn syrup. But I was told I had to use to corn syrup. I really do not want to at all. And because of that may pass on making these. I saw a cute craft you can do with kids for Monthers day with this recipe. Maybe I will find something else to add in it.

I agreee with lots of what has been said already. Definitely hot air is the way to go. I haven't tried PB2 but I understand it is pretty good in recipes. It is a powdered peanut butter, low cals and fat. As far as the honey goes it is still very caloric dense but may be healthier than corn syrup. The very best popcorn ball recipe I ever used called for honey rather than corn syrup so I don't know why you were advised otherwise. I have spent years trying to find this recipe with no luck.
    As stated before your best line of defense may be portion control.
    Enjoy!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    1/2 cup sugar- I don't like using artificial sweeteners, but you could always try stevia.
    1/2 cup light corn syrup- Try honey or agave
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine- Use a healthier butter substitute
    3 tablespoons peanut butter- Use an all natural peanut butter with one ingredients- peanuts. Still high in calories, but also high in healthy fats and nutrients
    8 cups popped Healthy Pop Butter Flavor- Use air popped popcorn.

It's also worth mentioning some recipes are best left on their own and eaten only as the occasional snack.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup

yes splenda instead
    I think your stuck with the corn syrup
    There is a butter called (Butter Buds) It is in a yellow box and in the baking section. I found it at Giant Eagle. The lowest calorie butter I have ever found. Its powder and you mix it with water It is very low calories and taste great on popcorn by the way LOL. Here is a website about it so you can read on it. For a whole packet it is 35 calories and makes 1/2 cup of butter.
    (http://bbuds.com/about/)
    and do air popped popcorn
    I can't help with peanut butter but I read someone say pb2 so I looked it up here is a website to look at (http://bellplantation.com/products) hope this helps
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Also, skinnytaste.com has a LOT of revamped, healthier recipes to try. I loveee love love the site. Good luck!