My 9 year old daughter's first 5K

Options
ccbing
ccbing Posts: 162 Member
My husband and I ran a 5K this morning with our 9 year old daughter. This was her first and she won 2nd in her age division! She's hooked and has already asked to run more ;) She's ready to collect some more medals :)

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My husband and I ran a 5K this morning with our 9 year old daughter. She won 2nd in her age division! She's hooked and has already asked to run more ;)

That's fantastic! Well done to her! And to you for giving her that opportunity. Was it something she asked to do after seeing you doing it, or did you all take up running together?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    That is so cute! Congrats to your daughter! and I love how you all did the 5k as a family! Love it!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    DId she want to do it on her own? If not, how did you motivate her? I'd love to encourage my sister to run with me. She's 12 and in Jr. High and she has mandatory running days that she absolutely dreads. I was like that too when I was her age, but I wish I could find some way to make her see it in a more positive light :(
  • Pelican71
    Pelican71 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats to your daughter! I ran a 5k this morning also, she probably would have smoked me. However, I achieved my goal to start and finish and I feel great.
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Running would be a great thing for her to get into. Grats to you all on your run! :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The family that runs together has funs together! Congrats!!! :drinker: <-- Gatorade. :wink:
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Fantastic!!! Congrats to her and her new addiction brings a smile to my face.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats to her for placing and to you for instilling a love of fitness in her! Do you have Girls on the Run in your area? It's an awesome program for girls her age. My 9 y.o. is doing it and I'm an assistant coach. The 5K event is fun for everyone!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    DId she want to do it on her own? If not, how did you motivate her? I'd love to encourage my sister to run with me. She's 12 and in Jr. High and she has mandatory running days that she absolutely dreads. I was like that too when I was her age, but I wish I could find some way to make her see it in a more positive light :(

My husband has been running for 1.5 years and I have been running since Jan. 2012. She asked about 6 weeks ago to go along for a jog with her dad. From that we saw she had potential to be really good. She's logged about 15-20 miles in the past 5-6 weeks. She was super thrilled to get a medal today. She asked on the way home to do some more races. I told her that bigger races would have more competition and she may not medal...she said "that's Okay....as long as I have fun" :bigsmile:
  • yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I am soooooo proud of you for getting your FIRST medal!!!! Keep up the good work & one day you'll have more medals than mom & dad put together!!!! LOVE YA!!!!:flowerforyou: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I ran a 5k with my daughter, age 9 also, on St. Patrick's Day. We had the BEST time. Tomorrow we are running another one together!