Met my body where it was at...and moved on

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
Before I had chidren, I was pretty strong. I assistant coached my school's power lifting team and worked out with the kids regularly (I'm a "can do coach"-- don't ask the kids to do it if you won't). At 170 pounds (size 10 at 5'7"), I could do 4 or 5 pullups and 2 or 3 sets of 20 push-ups on my toes. Then I had kids...fast forward 5 years. I had two c-sections, and admitting that I had no core strength and had to start from basically zero all over was very defeating.
Last night I did 10 push-ups on my toes. I have lost 15 pounds and 16 inches in 50 days (never took before pics though :grumble: ). I finally feel like I am regaining control over my eating and my body. Thank you MFP! And thank you also to ohiofreebird for hooking me up with the site! :heart: :drinker:

Replies

• Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Congratulations sweetie! It sounds like you are well and truly heading back to where you want to be
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    amazing job!!(:
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Congrats. This site and YOU are awesome.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    congrats! that is just amazing :)
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was a varsity cheerleader. I was one of the smallest on the squad and the strongest base. I also worked for my Dad's construction company and could lift 300 lb rolls of carpet with the guys. I had anorexia. At 5'3" and 118 pounds and all muscle I thought I was fat. Fast forward out of high school and my metabolism shut down. I gained tons of weight very quickly. I gave up on me. Fast forward from there to 4 years ago I had an appendectomy. Due to high pain tolerance I lived in pain over a day and they had to really cut me open to get it out. Lost what ever was left of my core. A year from that I had my son via c-section. I had started horse training again and had gotten back a little core. Re lost it all. 12 weeks after him I had my gall bladder out learned I have a crappy pancreas and liver scarring from a genetic issue. Now three years after all of this I am proud to say I can feel my abs AND I can also do push ups!

Go you! It feels great to get back in shape and take control of life! Be proud of all you have done!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I totally relate - I worked my strength back up even after I had my kids. Then I took on 2 jobs because I was a single mom, and pulled the large muscle away from the thigh bone by being stupid and not stretching out before a baseball game. A couple of decades at a desk job, going back to school, and becoming a grandmother... and all of a sudden I realize I am not the strong, capable young person I used to be. I was kind of dejected about it all, and wondered how I could have allowed it to happen. I don't FEEL this old, and I often forget I'm not that solid, strong person anymore... I have to really work at it again.

All of that to say this: Congrats for achieving this after having kids - but don't forget to take care of yourself as life marches forward. Because it will really surprise you in 10-15 years how fast it went!
  • AABru
    Options
    I was a varsity cheerleader. I was one of the smallest on the squad and the strongest base. I also worked for my Dad's construction company and could lift 300 lb rolls of carpet with the guys. I had anorexia. At 5'3" and 118 pounds and all muscle I thought I was fat. Fast forward out of high school and my metabolism shut down. I gained tons of weight very quickly. I gave up on me. Fast forward from there to 4 years ago I had an appendectomy. Due to high pain tolerance I lived in pain over a day and they had to really cut me open to get it out. Lost what ever was left of my core. A year from that I had my son via c-section. I had started horse training again and had gotten back a little core. Re lost it all. 12 weeks after him I had my gall bladder out learned I have a crappy pancreas and liver scarring from a genetic issue. Now three years after all of this I am proud to say I can feel my abs AND I can also do push ups!

Go you! It feels great to get back in shape and take control of life! Be proud of all you have done!
    As should you! you overcame a huge mental issue as well as your physical weaknesses! :flowerforyou:
  • AABru
    Options
    I totally relate - I worked my strength back up even after I had my kids. Then I took on 2 jobs because I was a single mom, and pulled the large muscle away from the thigh bone by being stupid and not stretching out before a baseball game. A couple of decades at a desk job, going back to school, and becoming a grandmother... and all of a sudden I realize I am not the strong, capable young person I used to be. I was kind of dejected about it all, and wondered how I could have allowed it to happen. I don't FEEL this old, and I often forget I'm not that solid, strong person anymore... I have to really work at it again.

All of that to say this: Congrats for achieving this after having kids - but don't forget to take care of yourself as life marches forward. Because it will really surprise you in 10-15 years how fast it went!
    I shouldn't tell you this, but my mother said the same thing you have (sorry). :wink: I am trying so hard to learn from other people's mistakes...so thank you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!