Swelling in hands

I have had swelling in my hands when I am outside walking or jogging, but not at the gym. Can I prevent this? Am I the only one with this?

Replies

• gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    No, you are not the only one. I have been having the same problem. If anyone has any ideas why this is happening please let us know. :smile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Do they also itch? Mine are an allergic reaction. I get swelling and itchiness in my hands.
  • kellimr
    kellimr Posts: 69
    I have the exact same swelling that happens in my hands when I go for long walks...I wish I had an answer for you but I'm not sure either!! I can't say it's from the extra weight because it still happened to me when I walked at 140lbs. Hopefully someone has an idea!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    You are pooling blood into your hands most likely, this was happening to my wife until I got her to start moving her hands when she walks. Try and get your hands above or even with your heart; occasionally make a fist with them {pretend you are a choo choo train}to keep the blood flowing.
    You are out there getting your blood pumping and it is going to pool in your extremities, the feet are moving the blood as they “impact” the ground but most people will hang their hands by their sides as they walk.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I always see this discussion pop up when the weather starts getting warmer (noticed the last few years anyway). From what I've been able to gather, it's common and there are a few theories as to why it happens but I don't think there's a consensus. In any case, it's annoying but not a serious concern. I find shaking my hands out for a minute or running them under cool water takes care of it pretty quickly.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I get this too! Only outdoors!

Does it go away when you cool down? I think its just a normal vasodilation response. I also get a bright red face (indoors or outdoors) that totally embarrasses me because I think it makes me look out of shape (more so than I am!) when really I've gotten red and swollen hands my whole life no matter what shape I'm in.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    It's just gravity pulling fluid into your hands. Happens to me all the time, especially when hiking or running. I can't budge my wedding ring for a while but it always goes away. You can do 'jazz hands' or 'stick 'em up' to get some of the fluid moving back out of your extremities.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    this happens to me when I just let my arms hang during the walk. It doesn't happen if I make it a point of keeping my arms "swinging" - as runners do (english is not my mother tongue, so I don't know how to explain it!). Besides, I've been told you burn more calories that way!
  • skyocom
    skyocom Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you for all the insight. It's terribly annoying. I will try the next time to keep my hands and arms moving to see if that helps! :smile: