A little Disapointed by NROL4W

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
My NROL4W arrived and I have to say I'm a little disappointed, Not sure what I was excepting, but firstly it doesn't exactly cater for gainers like me, more for maintainers or losers. Second, it doesn't even include me on the weights and height charts cause I guess I'm too unhealthy (which is why I'm trying to gain), and so I can't really use the calorie calculation suggested for it, if I ate what they suggest I wouldn't even maintain. And thirdly, the exercises are exactly what I have been doing with hubby, which means I should have given him more credit. So far it hasn't really told me anything I didn't already know, I thought it would be something super revolutionary, though maybe it is for some..think it was written for cardio junkie chicks, of which sort I am most definitely not. anyway, at least it wasn't expensive!

Anyway not trashing the book, cause I think it would be great for some, but not so much for me.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Anyway not trashing the book, cause I think it would be great for some, but not so much for me.

I'm no stranger to lifting and already knew how many cals to eat- so yes I agree. It's a great book for beginners to lifting, those unaware of how many cals to eat to fuel their bodies and those who are mainly cardio-only workout folks.

If you're already doing compound moves, eating enough and don't need nutrition advice- you're good with just a lifting program.

I do love how it's a great introductory book and has helped SO MANY women (and men) stop denying themselves food in a misguided attempt to lose weight. Also- it gets more women into the AWESOME side of the gym :wink:
  • Meg_78
    Options

Also- it gets more women into the AWESOME side of the gym :wink:

I need to find the balls to get to the "AWESOME side of the gym" I'm still lifting pretty light (heavy for me though) at home and I'd be a little embarrassed...truth be told, I have never even set foot in a gym! :blushing:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I need to find the balls to get to the "AWESOME side of the gym" I'm still lifting pretty light (heavy for me though) at home and I'd be a little embarrassed...truth be told, I have never even set foot in a gym! :blushing:

I lift at home- used to belong to a gym and hated it most of the time. I never belonged to the right kind of gym for me though- always ended up at one of those cardio gyms.

Besides- heavy is relative. Trust me- I'm not posting big numbers here lol I do know that my form is good (or improving) and that I'll get there eventually.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not all that great. I usually on recommend it for women who are afraid of / don't understand the benefits of lifting. I only did stage 1. For gaining muscle you should try to find a hypertrophy program, which is basically a lot of "volume", meaning hitting each muscle group with 2-3 different moves each workout. I think they are supposed to feel swollen or "plump" after a workout.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Yeah, it's not all that great. I usually on recommend it for women who are afraid of / don't understand the benefits of lifting. I only did stage 1. For gaining muscle you should try to find a hypertrophy program, which is basically a lot of "volume", meaning hitting each muscle group with 2-3 different moves each workout. I think they are supposed to feel swollen or "plump" after a workout.

Yeah That sounds like what my hubby does, we tend to do about 3-4 exercises on each group (we do "arms" "shoulders" "Legs" as mains, then there are some others smaller ones of particular areas that I have no name for!) sometimes he makes me alternate with different weights, and speeds to get a "pump" going...I think he really does know what hes talking about, not the I didn't think he did...sorta, lol.. anyway I'm glad I have him to Help! Right now, I just do what he tells me to!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have just started reading this to, and I think its good, I am of the charts to, which its a bit annoying, but the calculation that you use the chart for is very simple anyway, so I just use the lower amount even though I don't think I am an 18 bmi.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I've put my new calorie goal on mfp, and changed protein to 30%, that gives me quite a few more grams of protein than 2gm per kilo of body weight, so now I'm concerned that my calorie goal is in fact to high, anybody else with a lower BMI done this program? How Sid you work out your calories?