Ladies, how does the monthly affect your workouts?

Options
I try to work out every day. I've been horrible at it due to the monthly period, usually i'm so exhausted and weak from then I stopped working out. Any tips or such to get motivated in the PMS stage, during your monthly, or directly after the monthly?

Thanks

Replies

• Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I get very tired on and right before mine and during. I just push myself to go workout! Once I finish my workout I feel so much better! If its really bad I might take the day off and go the next tho! :smile:
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How bad are they? Usually mine are extremely heavy for the first 3 days. Its awful :( I can't even get out of bed sometimes!
  • fitspo124
    fitspo124 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't awfully painful but they do make me lazy as hell. I usually rest for the first two days and then I'm back in the game on the third day. Also I find strength training is much more bearable than cardio during TOM but really, listen to your body.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Depends on the month. For the most part I am out until it's over. I get such bad cramping I can hardly walk let alone stretch out. Those months where it is less painful, I try to workout because the stretching really does help my cramps.
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    THe week before my cycle, I am worthless. Seriously. I want to eat evey salty and sweet thing in sight! Let's not even talk about exercise!!!!! The week of my period, I am fine. It's weird!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The first day I'm usually super exhausted, so I skip the gym. If I still feel gross, I do weights or yoga instead of cardio, but then I hop back on the wagon.

Some research actually shows that workouts are more effective during menstruation.

http://www.fitnessvenues.com/uk/menstrual-cycle-and-exercise
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    never has affected me, and i've regularly exercised since i was a freshman in high school.

i've never had cramps either and i wonder if it's because i've always been active
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options

i've never had cramps either and i wonder if it's because i've always been active

Probably. I never really cramp, but sometimes I feel fatigue. Especially last month, when it lasted 23 days. Ugh.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Probably. I never really cramp, but sometimes I feel fatigue. Especially last month, when it lasted 23 days. Ugh.

oh no! i hope everything is OK :flowerforyou:
  • AFluffyNyamma
    Options
    I've heard that cramps and the intensity of the periods could also be hereditary .

Lets just say its like a running faucet almost for about three days with intense cramping and bloating.

Also my PMS puts me into extreme mood swings and depression where I can almost never move forward emotionally

My doc said I was sensitive to hormone change, so birth control didn't really help beyond lessening the periods

I envy you ladies who don't have it bad!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect me at all, I still workout, actually makes me feel better.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    The first day makes me want to rip my uterus out of my body. I sometimes can't stop throwing up, I am bent over in pain and there is NO way in hell I work out. I know some people say to push themselves, but I know my body and I know what I am able to do and not do. I am no good during that time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I do workout when I have my period, but I also take regular rest days every week. I am wondering if you are just so fatigued from working out every day that it is causing your period to really do a number on your energy level. Try taking at least one rest day every week...doesn't have to mean you loaf around, you can still be active, but it might be enough to keep your energy level up during your period.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    Options
    Well, I do workout when I have my period, but I also take regular rest days every week. I am wondering if you are just so fatigued from working out every day that it is causing your period to really do a number on your energy level. Try taking at least one rest day every week...doesn't have to mean you loaf around, you can still be active, but it might be enough to keep your energy level up during your period.

when I say every day I just vary the intensity level. I like to sweat a little even if its 15 mins or 60. Though this is a new regimen for me so I haven't tested it out with my monthly yet, so we'll have to see how it goes. I'll probably veg out day one and possibly two, maybe some weight training as others suggested
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Even if I am more tired than normal, I still take myself to the gym. I won't let myself make excuses.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I've heard that cramps and the intensity of the periods could also be hereditary .

Lets just say its like a running faucet almost for about three days with intense cramping and bloating.

Also my PMS puts me into extreme mood swings and depression where I can almost never move forward emotionally

My doc said I was sensitive to hormone change, so birth control didn't really help beyond lessening the periods

I envy you ladies who don't have it bad!

My Ob/Gyn also told me that cramping and intensity of periods can be hereditary also. My mom had horrible periods, I have horrible periods and my Teen daughter also has horrible periods.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It varies really, some months I really am too drained to contemplate cycling, which is my main form of exercise.
    But other months, I find that getting my butt out on my bike gives me an energy boost and helps me wake up a bit.
    I never would try working out with cramps however, as they get so painful I feel sick at times.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    That time of month makes us all feel like crap! If you are regular like I am, down to like a day or 2.. take midol the day or 2 b4 u start in anticipation. U will beat the bloating and the cramping and the headaches...
  • becks2089
    becks2089 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had surgery last June, and now only have one active ovary. TMI, I know. But before then I got through them very easily, rare cramps. Since the surgery, Its very painful cramps, and sore back, this might be because they are very infrequent, maybe 5 a year, monthly BC hasn't helped regulate, thats another problem my doctor and I have to tackle.
    This last month it came for the first time in two months, I was miserable the first day, the second morning was awful but I felt better by the evening to do my two mile run. And I worked out the next 2 days as well.
    If I can get a hold of my cramps, I'll still work out. I don't get much fatigue.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Other than being more pushy in the gym I find that the extra water my body holds helps me push it in the gym. I usually hit new PR's that week.