Zoloft :(

Options
I have been on zoloft since I had my baby a year ago! I have gained alot on it and just do not like the way it makes me feel. I am trying to come off it and it is awful! Anyone else go through this? And is there any other medication that doesnt cause weight gain. I was thinking wellbutrin. I have heard that it does not cause the weight gain!

Replies

• budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    wellbutrin or cymbalta
  • Asukadomo
    Options
    I can't speak for wellbutrin but I was put on prozac which did not give me any weight gain. Only prob for me at least was if I forgot more than two days I was a in a huge mood.
  • Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been on prozac and didnt like the way it made me feel either! I am def going to talk to my doctor about wellbutrin or cymbalta
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been on zoloft for about three weeks and I'm not hungrier than usual. I feel pretty normal, just less anxiety and depression. I've also heard Wellbutrin can actually cause weight loss. But I've heard that zoloft can too. I think it just depends on the person.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I WAS going to go on Paxil but after watching/hearing so many horror stories seeing women crying on youtube...not faking it... I was scared Sh*tless!!! I'll just try to deal with life without meds. I have always been afraid of taking meds and after doing additional digging my fears are justified. I just can not gamble and throw away a years worth of sweat and pain for a pill. Not worth the side effects/possible massive weight gain. They screw up your metabolism I heard.
  • Julielynn83
    Options
    I guess its just finding what works for you. I really wish I didnt have to take anything. I get very bad panic attacks and so I always end back on something to help out
  • txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been on zoloft since 1992. I have actually lost weight but I don't think it was caused by the med. I have had towork harder than some people but I'm losing. Try taking it at night, then you won't feel so weird. Thats when I take it. If I didn't take it I would be one massive panic attack.:noway:
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take it and it hasn't hindered weight loss. I feel so much better with it, I can actually get out and do stuff. Just talk to your doctor, they will switch you around to something that may work better for you. I took celexa for about a month, and it did crazy things to my body. I don't have any experience with taking anything else. Good luck I hope your doc can find something that works for you soon :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is definitely what works for you. I was on zoloft for years and it helped with the depression but I did gain weight but at the same time my thyroid went wacko. Was weaned off zoloft and onto wellbutrin. I liked it and lost a little bit of weight but then started with suicidal thoughts. I don't think I would have acted on them but didn't like them floating through my head. Was weaned off that and took effexor. Didn't work, still had bad thoughts and got physically ill with nausea and vomiting. Now I'm on celexa ,generic name citalopram, and it has worked the best. All this to say, there are many drugs out there so don't be afraid to tell your doctor when one is not working. Good Luck:wink:
  • teespikes
    teespikes Posts: 31
    Options
    I took Zoloft for 2 years and I took it at night, I slept alot better and I didnt feel weird during the day..Just a suggestion.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Coming off zoloft is awful. The "brain zaps" are wretched. Just take it slow, very slowly decrease your dose and wean off - and make sure your doctor knows your weaning off!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and can only share my experience. Twelves years ago, after my first baby, I was extremely tired and depressed. The doctor assumed I had post partum and put me on Zoloft. I never noticed a difference but then I had my second child 19 months after first child so I assumed my body was just out of whack. Two years later and still taking Zoloft, I gained almost thirty pounds over a summer. My energy level was zero and my depression high. My sister called and told me she was diagnosed with hashimottos thyroiditiss. I never thought it could be my thyroid and neither was it ever mentioned by the doctor. I insisted on a thyroid test and low and behold I too had hashimotos. Please get full bloodwork done before settling with a "depressed" diagnosis. It's been 12 years since my first baby and I'm still trying to balance my anxiety and hormones. Good luck to you.
  • holycabbage
    Options
    i'm sorry zoloft's not working out for you : ( are you getting help from your doctor? i would definitely recommend you talk to him/her before weaning yourself off of any medication, especially an antidepressant. it's really dangerous if you don't do it right. for example, i decided to stop taking my meds a couple of weeks ago without any advice on how to do it correctly, and i completely crashed. it was terrifying. i was so emotional and depressed that i became suicidal within 24 hours. i got back on the meds immediately and am only now feeling stable again.

in terms of other, better meds - i'm on lexapro, abilify, and trazodone at the moment and haven't had any issues with weight gain. if anything, they've helped me lose weight because i have the energy to work out and the hope that one day, i'll look and feel better. my younger sister used to be on cymbalta (she's now on lithium) and loved it. the side effects were practically nonexistent. but, of course, as with any medication, the effects vary from person to person, so you might have to try a couple before you find one that suits you. good luck!
  • pinky_pie
    pinky_pie Posts: 127
    Options
    I wasn't on Zoloft long enough for me to notice any weight gain as it made me very suicidal. That's just me - every one is different so I'm not knocking the medication.

If you feel that the medication is no longer being beneficial to you, or that your depression/anxiety is getting worse it's time to talk to the doctor. Make sure that he/she lets you go off of it gradually, and be firm with them. Too often doctors just throw a pill at us because that's all they can do.

My mother is on Welbutrin and responds well to it.

Best wishes :)
  • Julielynn83
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I feels good to know I am not the only one out there with these issues! I see my doctor on the 5th. I am slowly going off the zoloft tho till I see her.
  • AshleyNStanley
    Options
    I am on zoloft for anxiety and depression. I asked my psychiatrist before getting on anything if it would cause me to gain weight and she said no... Maybe they need to change your dosage. I just got on it and it has made me feel alot better. I heard Paxil was the worst though! I will for sure make you gain! lol
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low dose of Paxil and it works perfectly for me, but it might be part of my eating problem. I'd rather deal with that than panic attacks though. I tried Prozac and it was ugly - even on a very low dose I zoned out for half an hour at a time and had weird, extremely vivid fantasies about bleeding to death.

Whatever you do, do not adjust your meds without a doctor helping you. These drugs can be a godsend or they can mess you up really badly. What works for one person can make another psychotic.
  • bby12
    bby12 Posts: 4
    Options
    zoloft makes u gain weight?! maybe thats wat happend to me :o i took it for 2 months only then i just stopped taking it on my own... (PPD)
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    I was prescribed Welbutrin. It made me extremely dizzy and physically ill, like the slightest movement on my part would make the room spin and cause me to vomit or dry heave. It also caused some of the most freakishly bizarre dreams and nightmares I have ever had.
    After stopping that I was prescribed a variety of different drugs, one after the other, none of which helped and several of them made me feel worse. In the end I decided I'd rather deal with the symptoms of my depression than deal with the side effects of the drugs.
    All I can say is good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.