Starvation mode?

Options
So, I've heard differing opinions out there about the existence of starvation mode. It seems everyone here on MFP is on board that it exists, but on the other weight loss site that I frequent: www.reddit/com/r/loseit, everyone is adamant that survival mode does not exist. I wish I could get on reddit right now (at work/firewall) and see if I can find more information about this, but the studies that suggest that starvation mode exists were using people that were ACTUALLY starving (a few hundred calories a day for weeks and weeks at a time).

I'd like to my own life experience as an example of why I tend to agree with the folks over on reddit rather than the common opinion here.

When I first entered college, I went through a terrible bout of depression and anxiety. I was anxious most of the time, but it got especially bad whenever I sat down to eat a meal. My throat felt like it would close up, my stomach would start turning over. It was a terrible chore to force the food down my throat, and I never really ate more than 500-800 calories a day for about a month and a half (at which point I got put on an SSRI and the anxiety and depression quickly got better). Most people on here, I feel, would say that my body should have gone into "starvation mode" very quickly after I reduced my calorie intake so drastically. BUT, I lost 30 pounds in about a month and a half.

Can anyone explain how this happened if starvation mode actually exists?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode generally only happens when you are actually starving.

Like in a concentration/work camp or something (very low body fat etc).

I lost the link but there was a medical study where a kid that was in the 400lb range began a medically supervised fast where he literally ate nothing for months. He was in a hospital during this time, and provided potassium and b-vitamins among other things as needed. Only once was there a time where he experienced any kind of complications. His lean body mass losses were actually very minimal. This is not an endorsement of this, again this kid was basically part of a medical study.

The point though is that the whole "starvation mode" as people see it of, "like omg gurl you skipped breakfast you gonna go into starvation mode!!11" simply does not happen as easily as people think. Your existing body composition makes a huge difference as well. If you are lean already; yes, you can go catabolic over a period of extreme deficit/starvation and lose some lean mass. However, if you have a high amount of body fat; your body is going to go after that first. You might not feel the greatest but it is what will happen.

Intermittent fasting is actually an okay thing to do, and eating around 1000 calories or less on the odd occasion isn't going to kill you.

Unless you're already like anorexic.

And do lots of coke.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is something most people in my country will never have to worry about :P
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Chris said it all. I think starvation mode is only applied when you're eating nothing at all. Think of it as if you're stranded on an island. You'll start to lose weight rapidly. However, when you lose most of your body fat, that's when your body starts retaining it, and you will die.

Yep.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is something most people in my country will never have to worry about :P

Amen!!
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    I'm glad I've found some people on here who agree.

Looking through literature, I found this article conducted by Karl Friedl in which he did find a low enough calorie deficit at which lean muscle mass starts to be catabolised.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/77/2/933.short

In the 8 week study, the solidiers in this study were eating 1000-1200 calories a day, but were working out so much that they had a net calorie intake of -1200 calories. And real muscle loss didn't start happening until they were at 4-6% body fat.
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    Lol. Hoping for it to get a little heated in here soon?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The way I look at this whole starvation thing?

I know what happened to my own body when I didn't eat enough. I don't need to read a study, article or whatever else to know that what I was doing to myself was basically starving. When your hair falls out, you can no longer sleep well, can't think, your heart rate is extremely slow, etc.. well, I don't need someone else to tell me that I'm not giving my body enough food.

I do think that the "starvation mode" that is thrown around on here is not all that accurate. Not eating enough food for a week or even a few weeks isn't going to cause starvation mode to kick in immediately. Yes, your body will adjust and adapt to the lower intake, but it isn't freaking out YET. When you severely restrict your calories for a long period of time, THAT is when you'll begin to see signs of "starvation".
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I think the term is thrown around a little too loosely, BUT I do believe people's metabolisms adjust to low caloric intakes. If someone is on an 800 calorie diet for an extended period of time, their body becomes used to losing at only 800 and that persons maintainence calorie level would be low as well (usually leading to regaining the weight). I lost slowly eating 1400-1600 calories a day and my metabolism knows it's being fed regularly and I'm able to maintain 117 lbs by eating 2000+ calories a day. I'm happy that I did it this way, because I know I can keep it off. Everyone is different but I've personal experienced it both ways and when I was on a low calorie diet, I lost the weight but as soon as I ate "normally"... BOOM the weight came back on.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I think the term is thrown around a little too loosely, BUT I do believe people's metabolisms adjust to low caloric intakes. If someone is on an 800 calorie diet for an extended period of time, their body becomes used to losing at only 800 and that persons maintainence calorie level would be low as well (usually leading to regaining the weight). I lost slowly eating 1400-1600 calories a day and my metabolism knows it's being fed regularly and I'm able to maintain 117 lbs by eating 2000+ calories a day. I'm happy that I did it this way, because I know I can keep it off. Everyone is different but I've personal experienced it both ways and when I was on a low calorie diet, I lost the weight but as soon as I ate "normally"... BOOM the weight came back on.

No, not really.

If you eat 800 calories, and you have a lot of fat to lose; you will lose a lot of fat, very fast.

Your body does not become used to it, after maybe a week of it your metabolism may slow but by a marginal amount. Everyone is different yes but that statement is not the magic phrase that enables people to bend the laws of physics or ignore basic biological functions.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree that "starvation mode" is tossed around too lightly, but that doesn't mean that people should actively decide to skip meals or severely restrict calories. Yeah, you'll lose a lot of weight really fast, but will you keep it off once you start eating normally again? Because let's face it, you WILL start eating normally again. It may be okay to live on 500 calories a day for a month or for however long it takes for you to get down to 4% body fat, but that's not going to fly for the rest of your life.

Also, I think the fact that I feel sluggish, lightheaded, and get dark circles under my eyes if I don't eat satisfying regular meals is incentive enough for me to not try skipping meals or restricting my calorie intake more than I already am, especially since I've increased the amount that I exercise.

Various fasting regimens definitely do work for people, but not for everyone, and it's something that you shouldn't undertake without a nutritionist's oversight, at least when you're first starting out. I don't feel the need to do any of those things despite the fact that there are a lot of testimonials about the results, because I'm not a fitness fanatic, and I'm not a bodybuilder -- I just want my body to feel good and for me to feel good about my body.
  • sparkle126
    sparkle126 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Stavation mode is crap, my friend put on 5 stone when pregnant then after pregnancy lost the 5 stone my simply eating 500-800 calories a day....wouldnt advice this, as healthy and slow is the best way. I think when your calorie intake is low ya just losing your lean muscle more than fat.
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    Stavation mode is crap, my friend put on 5 stone when pregnant then after pregnancy lost the 5 stone my simply eating 500-800 calories a day....wouldnt advice this, as healthy and slow is the best way. I think when your calorie intake is low ya just losing your lean muscle more than fat.

Look at the study I posted a little bit further up....they found that lean muscle was only really catabolised once a person reaches 4-6% body fat.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    Unless there's something wrong with your body's biochemistry, you WILL NOT start losing lean muscle before you start losing fat. Your body absolutely requires a minimum amount of fat to do things like cushion your organs and maintain proper neural signaling. Once your body has lost all of its fat except for the absolutely sheer minimum required to continue to survive, THEN your body starts breaking down lean muscle for energy.
  • chris1816
    Options

Look at the study I posted a little bit further up....they found that lean muscle was only really catabolised once a person reaches 4-6% body fat.

The best thing to look at (for people who like to ignore f*cking science).

Bears.

What do bears do? They hibernate, and before they do this they store up fat and as much mass as possible.

When they come out of hibernation sure they look leaner but do they look like they just spent a season in Auschwitz for bears?

No.

There you go, starvation mode explained.
  • verdammtwenig
    Options

The best thing to look at (for people who like to ignore f*cking science).

Bears.

What do bears do? They hibernate, and before they do this they store up fat and as much mass as possible.

When they come out of hibernation sure they look leaner but do they look like they just spent a season in Auschwitz for bears?

No.

There you go, starvation mode explained.

I lol'd. At work. Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you check your metabolism and BF% before and after?
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    Well said. Listen to your body for sure. I was a 137, am at 129 and am aiming for 120. See you there!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The biggest problems is that, like so many of the topics discussed here and other fitness board, there is no common framework for discussion. People use the term "starvation mode" indiscriminately for a number of different physiological scenarios and other issues. The term and the explanation provide a nice, simple explanation with relatively easy rules to follow (don't eat less than 1200 calories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so it's an easy refuge in a swirling sea of discordant fitness and health information. Not to mention the fact that it is parroted ad nauseum by people who claim to be "experts" which just reinforces its ring of authority. Like a mutated form of the "telephone game", the concept has become distorted to the point where some people claim that every too little will cause you to GAIN weight and gain fat, which defies the laws of physics.

The problem is made worse by the fact that about 90% of the "evidence" cited one way or the other consists of individual anecdotes.

True starvation mode does exist, but most people (luckily) will never experience it. There are other instances where very low calorie intakes and combinations of low intake and a high volume of intense exercise can have adverse effects in some individuals, but that is not starvation mode.

The biggest reason to avoid low-calorie diets is not because of "starvation mode" but because they have a 95% long-term failure rate.