Work out at work?

Options
Ok... I have to ask. I have seen SO many of you lovely MFP'ers posting on here about hitting the gym, or going for a run on your lunch break at work. I don't get a lunch "break" necessarily, but I have a flexible schedule, especially over the summer- I can get away with going out for a run or that sort of a thing.

However, first off- I would come back smelling, stinky, sweaty, and gross:noway: . Even if I just went for a decent walk in the summertime, I'd get sticky- I'm just a sweater I guess! Also, do you all run in your work clothes?!?!:laugh: If not, do you change, and then change back into work clothes while sweaty? I know I'm a a germ-a-phobe, but that just seems kind of gross to me! Showering at work is unfortunately not an option for me.

If anyone has found a way to make this work, please share!! :happy:

Replies

• crimefighter2
    crimefighter2 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Personally, I shower at the local gym. I bring a change of clothes, work out, shower, change back. I take it you don't have gym access?
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    well you could always go walking and then just use face wipes or baby wipes. not the BEST but better than nothing.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Baby Wipes too and any athletic clothing that will help with the moisture.

Could you walk in the building? Do steps? Do a DVD in a conference room?

Lets get creative ;)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    At my work they have two showers that we can use. About a dozen or so of us change, go for a workout (run or bike) and come back, shower and get dressed in work clothes again. However, I purposefully do not have a hair style that requires styling so I just brush my hair and go back to work in the lab.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I work in a school and my office is down in the basement, so I have a lot of freedom. Sometimes we'll take a walk at lunch time in the spring, but in the summer I would sweat too much.

I'll keep giving it some thought... thanks for the suggestions, though... I'll see what I can come up with :smile:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Bless you for asking this question. Since I found out I got a job and I start next week, I've been wondering the same thing! I think I'll have a lunch break long enough to work out and shovel in some food but it won't allow for a shower, so I don't know that I can work that in. And my hair takes a lot of work to even look presentable to the rest of the world any which way I've cut it. I've considered some of those shower wipes that a lot of military personnel take with them to the field... but that still doesn't seem like it would cut it to me! Something like this...

http://www.norinse.com/medical.htm

Though I'm sure someone might have a better brand/cheaper suggestion.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I get 2 half hour breaks. I try to get across the street to the park and do some tai chi for one of my breaks. If I don't get too intense I don't sweat too much. Don't know if it uses many calories but it sure helps me relax. :glasses:
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I work out right after work, but I have always wondered the same thing. I wear make-up, so I always wonder how women have time for changing clothes, working out, showering, doing hair and makeup, and changing back again all on their lunch breaks. It just wouldn't work for me.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I am a teacher and I work out right after work, but I have always wondered the same thing. I wear make-up, so I always wonder how women have time for changing clothes, working out, showering, doing hair and makeup, and changing back again all on their lunch breaks. It just wouldn't work for me.

Good- I'm glad I'm not alone... here I was thinking I was the only one who didn't "get it" :wink:
  • king4ar
    king4ar Posts: 25
    Options
    I also work in a school in a basement. The school has a gym that I go to after work, but I always wondered the same as you. It would be much more convenient if I had a more indoor activity that didn't have all the yuck! but still had the benefits of a full workout.
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Any way to work in a Leslie Sansone dvd for a 15-minute one-mile walk at your desk?
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    If you work at a desk, you can do what my mom does. She has one of the weighted exercise balls, and every now and then throughout the day replaces it for her desk chair. You have to use your core muscles ALOT to stay balanced on that thing, more than you realize.

And there are easy, sweat-free workouts you could do indoors with an exercise ball to give you a quick calorie burn in the middle of your day.

Just an idea. :)
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    I wish I had read a little further down before posting my message about this!

When I had my hour lunches, I would take some extra time (say, 1 hour and 20 min) for my "lunchtime routine". I would change into workout clothes, walk to the YMCA (10 minutes, downhill), do 30-35 minutes of weights (sometimes elliptical instead), and walk back to work (15 minutes, uphill). I would eat a protein bar on the way back. When I got back, I would change out of the sweaty workout clothes and freshen up with baby wipes, new deodorant, body powder, and clean underclothes, then change back into my work clothes. I kept easy to eat at my desk food around since I would have no time for an actual "lunch" on these days.

My hair would be a little mussed (just ran a comb through it) and my makeup far from perfect, and this created a TON of extra laundry, but my time is so crunched I literally had to figure out a way to get it in, so this worked for me. I LOVED it (particularly the days I'd do elliptical!) because it felt like a mini vacation in the middle of the workday. :bigsmile:

Of course my latest dillemma is I am down to 30 minutes for lunch with my summer schedule. Bah. Still trying to wrap my mind around a plan for this. . .