What to eat when I'm forced to have a late dinner??

Options

Replies

• rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who supported my lower carbs in the evening statement. Your body does know what time it is WHEN IT IS ASLEEP.

What I am saying is that the calories that are made up by carbs should be made up by proteins instead. I'm not suggesting carbs are bad, on the contrary but tapering carbs from morning to evening is proven to aid and maintain weight loss as the carbs have a chance to be burnt off throughout the day - ie when you're asleep you're not burning many calories ergo it gets stored as fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your advice may work great for A 29 year old guy, But it won't work across the board. Why not start more specific, see some results and work backward from there?

How about for a (nearly) 40 year old woman? I typically eat late because my husband doesn't get home from work until after 7 at the earliest, and I eat the bulk of my calories in the evening. Typically over 1000 cal for dinner, which often includes pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, garlic bread, corn bread...
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you go home and eat cake, you will gain fat...the carb thing is not a myth :)

You will gain fat eating cake at night, even at a calorie deficit? :noway:

It depends on the person and how often. Most people in their 20-something's and early 30s will not. However, many people in their mid-30s and beyond begin having issues with their glut4 receptors, insulin transports and production, protein issues, lipase issues.

My statement may have been aunnecessary blanket (sorry) :-) but my point is, calories in vs. calories out tends to work for people whose metabolisms (thousands of molecular reactions), even though it may not be the exact solution.

However, if you understand the physiology, there's a LOT that can go wrong.

I know this idea is abstract if calories in vs. out worked for you but think about anyone you know who is diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants. Most of these people gain weight without either changing the type and timing of their food or taking another drug to counteract. That's the whole idea behind whey protein supplement, 7-keto, multivitamins, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts :-) I LOVE this stuff"

Wellfitlife.me

Aw, *kitten*. I'm gonna be 36. Does that mean I can't eat my ice cream in bed before I fall asleep?? Damn, I'm on the downward slide. I eat half of my daily calories after 7pm and I have lost 10 pounds in 7 weeks. I better figure something out before August!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you go home and eat cake, you will gain fat...the carb thing is not a myth :)

It depends on the person and how often. Most people in their 20-something's and early 30s will not. However, many people in their mid-30s and beyond begin having issues with their glut4 receptors, insulin transports and production, protein issues, lipase issues.

My statement may have been aunnecessary blanket (sorry) :-) but my point is, calories in vs. calories out tends to work for people whose metabolisms (thousands of molecular reactions), even though it may not be the exact solution.

I know this idea is abstract if calories in vs. out worked for you but think about anyone you know who is diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants. Most of these people gain weight without either changing the type and timing of their food or taking another drug to counteract. That's the whole idea behind whey protein supplement, 7-keto, multivitamins, etc.

Wellfitlife.me

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Heard of carb backloading or the biorhythm diet?

To answer, the question. Eat whetever you want that fits you're macro targets.

Far more important than timing but timing is still important :-)

Your advice may work great for A 29 year old guy, But it won't work across the board. Why not start more specific, see some results and work backward from there?

Laws of thermodynamics.

insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I feel it doesn't matter when you eat carbs as long as you are filling macronutrient needs for the day. For those advocating that you shouldn't, answer this. Would you say it was ok to fill carb needs at a 4:00 PM dinner, assuming you already had your workout for the day, then relax and watch TV for the rest of the evening until you go to bed around 11:00?
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feel it doesn't matter when you eat carbs as long as you are filling macronutrient needs for the day. For those advocating that you shouldn't, answer this. Would you say it was ok to fill carb needs at a 4:00 PM dinner, assuming you already had your workout for the day, then relax and watch TV for the rest of the evening until you go to bed around 11:00?

It's not quite that easy, and will depend a lot on the type of carb, lifestyle, your goals, how close you are to your goals, past habits and diseases.,......for instance, vegetables are carbs and you should eat those all day long.

When you say"fulfill your needs", do you mean with 6 pieces of bread or a bag of baby carrots?

If I needed to simplify it, I would give this example.

If you believe simple carbs will make u store more fat more than complex carbs, you agree with us who think carbo-loading at 10 pm, you just don't know it yet :

Think of your body as a car and your food as gasoline. If you try to cram 15 gallons of gas (sugar) in to a 10 gallon tank (your muscles, cells, etc.) , 5 gallons will fall on the ground (be stored as fat). That's simple carb or carb-loading un-earned calories late at night. The difference is your body doesn't waste gas, it stores it as fat.

On the other hand, if you put 10 gallons in a tank, drive a couple miles, fill a little bit, drive a little bit and fill a little bit, none spills on the ground...

(WARNING, OVERSIMPLIFIED STATEMENT AHEAD) Carbo loading at night is like trying to cram 15 gallons of gas in to a 10 gallon tank. 10 gallons get used for fuel, 5 get stored as fat for later.

Wellfitlife.me
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Wellfitlife.me

So for the average person who is not diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants.... eating cake at night, at a calorie deficit will not cause weight gain.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The other thing everyone has neglected to consider is the OP is coming home from a workout. The carbs will first of all go to replace glycogen stores. To the OP don't worry about it eat a normal meal your body needs it. Just stay within your calorie goal.
  • anuyorker
    anuyorker Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Forget about that. LOL@people still believing the carbs at night myth. What are you learning from Dr. Oz? Come on people don't start believing idiotic principles. My biggest meals are at night and I make my absolute biggest my dessert meal. And in combination with intermittent fasting, pretty much my day's worth of food is eaten within 2-3 hrs at night time not too far away from bedtime.
    I eat 592g carbs at on my training days, and yes, I only eat them at night, most of the carbs being in my dessert meal.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

So for the average person who is not diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants.... eating cake at night, at a calorie deficit will not cause weight gain.

exactly
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Wellfitlife.me

You sure are stuck on that cake thing, huh? Maybe you better hop off the computer for a bit and make a quick trip to a grocery store ;-)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    or replace cake with some low gi oats or how about some fruit? Wouldn't want too much fructose!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I learned from Pulp Fiction that any time is the right time for pie. But there was no mention of cake.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm 46 and typically eat half my daily allotment of calories between supper and bedtime. I lost weight a a pretty good clip doing this last year, so I'm leaning towards the 'a deficit is a deficit "camp based on my personal experience.

Question: How does BMR fit into this equation? We talk about storage of unused energy as fat, but if my stats are correct I burn right at 100 calories per hour while asleep. If I eat an 800 calorie meal before bedtime and burn 800 calories during sleep the next eight hours how have I netted any fat? Also, are we assuming we are eating that bedtime meal with no excess glycogen storage capacity at mealtime? What if I've just worked out prior to my meal?
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eating late makes you gain weight is an myth, not true in the least bit. Eat as you normally would, so long as is fits calorie wise into your day then there shouldnt be any problems.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Dinner.
    or food. whichever is most handy.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Calories don't know what time it is. As long as you stay within your calories I'd say eat whatever won't give you a tummy ache or acid reflux (since you'll be laying down that's pretty bad for you)...
    But I've heard the reason they say not to eat late is because that's usually when people mindlessly snack on extra calories...
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Since after work I go straight to the gym, by the time I get back home It's around 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet! Usually I just eat yogurt and call it a night but my stomach usually hurts while I fall asleep because of this. Any suggestions on what I should eat??

Some of these answers are silly-The Carb thing is not a myth and it does matter what you eat, here's why :)

Serotonin and GABA are two of your primary neuroreceptors in your brain that affect mood, sleepiness, awake-ness, etc. Serotonin can be elevated by eating carbohydrate (i.e. late at night). When you eat the carb, insulin pops out of your pancreas and cleans your blood of a bunch of amino acids except for the TURKEY amino! (j/k, I mean tryptophan). Tryptophan hits the brain, turns in to serotonin and you get calm, satisfied, etc. it's part of the reason some people drink milk pre-bed (tryptophan).

NOW. between 11 pm and 1 am, your body clicks in to (CAUTION, CLICHE TERM AHEAD!!) "detoxify" your body. Your parasympathetic nervous system (the one that controls your organs, heart, digestion, etc) kicks in to high gear and nutrients start moving where they should.

some protein and carb will refuel you and put you to sleep.

WHAT SHOULD YOU EAT

Eat some protein for aminos for your muscles and some carb within 1/2 hourish of being done with your workout. make your meal relatively small and have COMPLEX CARBS like long-grain brown rice or some veggies. Sip down some lemon or lime juice in water to slow the glycemic index and you'll be all set and even add a little growth-hormone boost :)

check this out if you need more!

wellfitlife.me

^^ Smart man^^
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Soo . . . this is all cleared up for you now, right?

:happy:
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have experience in this area. If I'm trying to "lose" weight I eat just enough to not be hungry, but definitely not too much so I feel "full". Usually that's a handful of nuts and milk or almond milk OR half of a grilled chicken breast and green beans/broccoli/steamed green veggie OR any protein and veggie OR a banana and some nuts. There were times when I was really out of shape and trying to lose weight, I just drank some milk and went to bed or ate a small serving of protein and went to bed. If I'm not trying to lose weight then I eat a small dinner the same as above with maybe a small serving of carbs, in addition to the protein and veggies.

This is just my experience.

I CAN'T go to bed after eating a big meal. I have bad dreams, I wake up in the middle of the night, and I feel a little off in the morning when I get up. I just sleep better having not eaten within 2 hours of bedtime.

I've heard:
    eat protein after you workout
    eat carbs after you work out
    don't eat sugar (even fruit or milk) late at night
    don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime
    eat carbs and protein after you work out

WHATEVER! Eat what works for you! Try something different each night for a week and see what you're happiest with! Just listen to what your body tells you!

Good luck!