Starting Over

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background. I am a 50 yr old male from Indiana. I have 4 great kids (girls 28, 26, twin boys 22) and 3 grandkids and counting. I suffered a heart event back in May of 05. I was a perfectly health man at 47, or so I thought…Never went to the doctor…Was active…But, I ate anything I wanted and in mass amounts. Felt great. Then one morning my heart stopped because I had one obstructed artery.

I have joined My Fitness Pal to hold myself accountable for my daily nutrition. I think this is a great tool and I thank Mike for developing this website. As one of the members said in an earlier post, we do not have any idea the number of calories, fat, sugars and cholesterol we digest each and every day.

I thought I was doing well. I decided to track my eating habits through this website. I found I was not adhering to the recommended daily allowance of sodium, protein, cholesterol and calories for someone with a heart condition for my age and weight. This was a wakeup call for me.

I have made the commitment to take advantage of the tools Mike has given us and to regain control of my life. I have been at it for 3 days now and already I feel great. I am starting slow (so I won’t quit) and will build from there. I am 5’10”, 200lbs. My goal is 185lbs using a combination of diet, weight training (to keep muscle tone), running/walking and biking. I will also keep a diary on my resting pulse (now 50) and blood pressure (now 120/70).

We must take a closer look at our daily lives. We must know what is going on within our body before it is too late. I want to see my grandkids grow up.

Thanks for listening

Replies

• Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background. I am a 50 yr old male from Indiana. I have 4 great kids (girls 28, 26, twin boys 22) and 3 grandkids and counting. I suffered a heart event back in May of 05. I was a perfectly health man at 47, or so I thought…Never went to the doctor…Was active…But, I ate anything I wanted and in mass amounts. Felt great. Then one morning my heart stopped because I had one obstructed artery.

I have joined My Fitness Pal to hold myself accountable for my daily nutrition. I think this is a great tool and I thank Mike for developing this website. As one of the members said in an earlier post, we do not have any idea the number of calories, fat, sugars and cholesterol we digest each and every day.

I thought I was doing well. I decided to track my eating habits through this website. I found I was not adhering to the recommended daily allowance of sodium, protein, cholesterol and calories for someone with a heart condition for my age and weight. This was a wakeup call for me.

I have made the commitment to take advantage of the tools Mike has given us and to regain control of my life. I have been at it for 3 days now and already I feel great. I am starting slow (so I won’t quit) and will build from there. I am 5’10”, 200lbs. My goal is 185lbs using a combination of diet, weight training (to keep muscle tone), running/walking and biking. I will also keep a diary on my resting pulse (now 50) and blood pressure (now 120/70).

We must take a closer look at our daily lives. We must know what is going on within our body before it is too late. I want to see my grandkids grow up.

Thanks for listening
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Good for you for making a fresh start to taking care of your health! Good luck to you :)
  • hpatt3
    hpatt3 Posts: 1
    Awesome! You are doing it for all the right reasons!