Got to goal!! Pics, and need some advice

Options
Pickles11
Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
I can't believe it but I finally met my goal. I have never done that before. Sure, I've had success before, but I've never made a weight loss goal and actually met it.

How I did it:
I started off last year (around sept or oct 2011) on my own, and wasnt' very successful. Knowing what I know now about weight loss etc, I know I was very clueless.

Somehow I found MFP in about Nov. I wanted to lose weight fast, so I set my calories to 1200. That also didn't work. I was working out SO hard, hungry all the time, and lost nothing. It made no sense. Instead of giving up, I kept going, and read some advice that I needed more calories. I decided to up my calories to 1lb loss a week, so I was eating around 1500 calories. I also learned how important eating back my exercise calories are. I finally started seeing results. I was doing random workouts like Turbo Fire and going to the gym.

I kicked it up a notch when I got a HRM and realized how little I burn. I am for some reason really weird and burn WAY less than other people. It sucks, but now I know.

I started a 10k training program in January and ran my first 10k in April 15th in 57 mins.

Now, I am training for a half marathon. I'm really excited.

Pics:

back.png

beforeandafter.png

side.png

Ok, so if you've made it this far, I need some advice. And trust me, I can take it so please be honest.

Should I: Keep my calorie deficit (half lb a week) and lose 5 more lbs?
OR
Should I: Go to maintenance and continue my lifting and half training?
OR
Any other advice?

Replies

• SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I Vote for go to maintenance and continue your lifting and half training, but ease into the calorie upping. Lifting will do lovely things to your body (not that you need it, you look damn good now). If your not super happy with the results after a month or two you can always go back to deficit. Listen to you body, it will tell you what it wants :bigsmile:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations!!! I vote for maintenance & weight lifting. From what my MFP friends say that is the way to go. Congrats & good luck on whatever path you choose!!!
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think keep what your doing and just do more weights....

Oh, and congrats on meeting your goal!!
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    congrats. looks great. it's time to hit the weights and not care so much about the scale. building muscle will burn calories. awesome work
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Maintence and lifting! You look great. Congrats!!!:bigsmile:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I would stay in a deficit and lose maybe 3-4 more pounds. Then look hot for summer and keep lifting and maintain! Maybe a surplus for a while in the fall.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I would stay in a deficit and lose maybe 3-4 more pounds. Then look hot for summer and keep lifting and maintain! Maybe a surplus for a while in the fall.

Agree with Sunshine... :)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think you could go either way. Personally, I would probably find it harder to go to maintenance, then switch back to deficit if I decided I needed to lose more later, but that's just me. Lifting should help you keep losing inches, though, so I'd say do what you feel is going to fit into your lifestyle the best.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would say slowly move into maintenance, like increasing your calories by 100-200 per week until you are there. So that could take some time and allow you to shed a few more pounds. Plus, I think even once you are in maintenance, if you are doing serious weight lifting (heavy and not just little 5 lb dumb bells), then you will continue to lose inches and still continue to look even more amazing.

Great job on your success so far! You look incredible!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I vote for keeping the half-pound deficit and start working our gradually. If you feel tired, gradually up your calories to get the strength you need.

(Just my humble opinion.)

Whatever you do, I hope it works well for you and CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR GOAL!!

That's awesome!!

:smile:
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, you're so kind! I definitely feel great but agree I could lose a few more inches. I think I will do the heavy lifting! I am afraid to do maintenance calories, but you're right, I should up them slowly.

Oh, and for some reason this pic didn't seem to show up properly:

after.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!