suggestions to go with my baked sweet potato??

Options
ninaellis
ninaellis Posts: 60
Hi,
I lovebaked sweet potatoes as they don't need butter!! But what can I have with it???
Some times I have it as part of my main meal but would like suggestions for good things to have with one for lunch.
Obviously cheese & beans are out of the question!!:laugh: And I'm not sure coleslaw would go!!!
Can anyone save me from eating it plain????:flowerforyou:

Replies

• expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    I like to put cinnamon on mine. You could have soup with it.
  • Cherrystargirl
    Options
    I had roasted sweet potato salad with asparagus at the weekend and just a bit of fat free vinagerette, was LOVELY! Might be worth a try.
  • 9tattoos
    9tattoos Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like to make fries. Little olive oil, and some seasoning, salt and pepper.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I spray aluminum foil with a little olive oil spray, sprikle with dry rosemary/ garlic seasoning and bake. The flavor is wonderful. I normally bake a few at a time for leftovers.

How about some salsa on top for something different?
  • ninaellis
    Options
    Ooh lots of good idea's! Thank you :flowerforyou:

Today I tried low fat sour cream & chive on top, which worked pretty well!!

Thanks for the suggestions x
  • erovey
    erovey Posts: 6
    Options
    Maybe try a mango salsa or a sweeter salsa - I think it would go well with the flavor of sweet potatoes.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meals ever is sweet potato & chicken. . . All I do is roast the sweet potatoes, mash em, add a baked chicken breast (cut up), mix it all together... and voila. Yummy low cal tasty meal. Kind of weird though I know, lol.
  • ninaellis
    Options
    One of my favorite meals ever is sweet potato & chicken. . . All I do is roast the sweet potatoes, mash em, add a baked chicken breast (cut up), mix it all together... and voila. Yummy low cal tasty meal. Kind of weird though I know, lol.

Not weird at all!!! I love it!! & have that for a dinner with a side salad.:happy:
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    I like to put cinnamon on mine. You could have soup with it.

Me too. It's like dessert! :smile:
  • hammersshells
    Options
    I like to make fries. Little olive oil, and some seasoning, salt and pepper.

YES!! I cut it into wedges season as above, and bake at 425 for about 30 min. The best ever! Saw this on Racheal Ray the other day, and I am hooked now. :love: Even my DH, who is not dieting was about to dump ketchup on them, and I asked him to taste them first and he LOVED them just as they were. No further seasoning or sauces needed. I am going to the store to buy some more sweet potatoes today! lol.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i feel like sour cream would taste good on it...but others may disagree.
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had roasted sweet potato salad with asparagus at the weekend and just a bit of fat free vinagerette, was LOVELY! Might be worth a try.

OOOO that sounds yummy!:bigsmile:
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking shredded chicken with Honey BBQ sauce.

210557.png
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I think broccoli with a tiny bit of low cal cheese would be great. But then I add broccoli to everything.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Broccoli with the sweet potato sounds really good.... As does the cinnamon.I love sweet potato fries....I like a nice piece of broiled salmon with mine too,topped with a low sodium teriyaki sauce. One of my absolute faves!Fresh steamed green beans are good with it too!( sweet potatoes or salmon... and .which like someone said also a sweet fruity salsa)Mmmmm...Getting hungry!
  • jgray01
    jgray01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Mix it with cinnamon and a some crushed pineapple (the kind that comes in water and not syrup.) It gives it a surprising sweet taste without the guilt of a ton of brown sugar or marshmallows.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking shredded chicken with Honey BBQ sauce.

210557.png

oh my that does sound really really good!
  • lld20
    lld20 Posts: 9
    Options
    My hubby makes the sweet potato fries but, he uses nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. We eat them with lean turkey burgers with veggies or salad.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I top mine w/ cottage cheese & cinnamon (could use a little sweetener if you like). YUMMY, like a dessert!!

They're also good cooked in foil on the grill, spritzed with olive oil and then sprinkled w/ seasoned salt. I love doing that with a grilled chicken breast.
  • RosanneAlmasian
    Options
    Hi, I put salsa on my microwaved sweet potato - the sweet and hot go together nicely