How many calories?

Options
I did mention this in another thread, but need help as soon as possible, so thought I would start a dedicated thread.
I am starting new rules of lifting for women, I have worked out rmr according to their calculations, but I am not on their BMI chart a I don't weigh enough, I decided to just do the amount that they allocate to a person with a BMI of 18.
I've put my new calorie goal on mfp, and changed protein to 30%, that gives me quite a few more grams of protein than 2gm per kilo of body weight, so now I'm concerned that my calorie goal is in fact to high, anybody else with a lower BMI done this program? How Did you work out your calories?

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Any ideas? I am quite stuck
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    My BMI is about 17.2 if that helps get me an answer. I thought it was close enough to use the 18+ calculation, but that puts my protein so high I am concerned the rest may be to high as well.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm also off the charts with that book (below 17%BF 5'4,100) Are you wanting to gain? or just maintain? As a gainer, I found it tough to know exactly what to put so I have just kept to my settings as they have been on MFP cause I know they work, I eat about 1900 to maintain, 2160 to gain between 1/2-1lb a week, and I eat between 250-300 extra on lifting/exercise days. It took me a good few weeks to figure out what level worked for me, so just start somewhere, and give it a trial period, and see if you need to up it later. I eat around 100g protein a day, my settings are set to 81, I just go over. I never bothered to personalize my settings too much, I tend to be under my carbs more often than not anyway, I just try to meet my calorie goals. But with all that I'm not following the NROL4W too closely, there is a NROL4W group that might be able to advise you better!

Meg
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thank you, it was actually your thread I posted in in the first place :)
    I was at 1200 with mfp, with what I read that is probably to little. I want to lose body fat and gain muscle, I don't really mind what the number on the scale ends up being.
    I can't recall exact numbers right now, but off the top of my head if I follow the BMI 18+ guidelines on non exercise days I need to eat about 1470 cals, including 120g protein. But if I go by the two grams of protein per 1kg of body weight rule that the book mentions to be around the same as the 30% rule, its only about 87g of protein, which is what makes me think all my numbers are probably to high.

If I don't get an answer I will try the 1470 for awhile, but would love to know the formula for smaller people if anyone knows.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it was actually your thread I posted in in the first place :)
    I was at 1200 with mfp, with what I read that is probably to little. I want to lose body fat and gain muscle, I don't really mind what the number on the scale ends up being.
    I can't recall exact numbers right now, but off the top of my head if I follow the BMI 18+ guidelines on non exercise days I need to eat about 1470 cals, including 120g protein. But if I go by the two grams of protein per 1kg of body weight rule that the book mentions to be around the same as the 30% rule, its only about 87g of protein, which is what makes me think all my numbers are probably to high.

If I don't get an answer I will try the 1470 for awhile, but would love to know the formula for smaller people if anyone knows.

Yeah i saw that it was you on the thread after I posted LOL! Do hope you get more answers, but consider riposting this on the NROL4W group too: I think there is actually lots of info there, I'll send you a link!

Meg
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks. I have found them very helpful with other things, unfortunately not this though. I know I am probably close enough to BMI 18, but don't want to eat much, so hoping to finda formula meant for my size.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Then again, you eat more than me even just to maintain and I assume you are doing OK.