STARTING YOGA?!?!?!?!? HELP!

Options
I have been a normal eliptical/running girl for the past year but feel like I want to mix up my exercises more!

I've heard lots of good things about Yoga and want to try it. I worry though that it wont burn any calories....lmao... cause i know its a lot of stressing.

Anyone have any suggestions about it?

Any suggested DVD's they like also?

:)

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Yoga doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it increases your flexibility, lengthens your spine, improves your posture, and does build some muscle strength. I'm sure I'm missing some other bennies as well, that others will chime in on.

There are different types of yoga. Do a little research, interview some teachers, or borrow yoga dvds from the library to 'test drive' the style that suits you.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    There's a series of yoga videos called Yoga Zone. They have great videos for every level. I just got a set of 4 dvds from Amazon.com.
    226637.png
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    If you are currently a runner, yoga will help you a lot. Running shortens the muscles, especially in your legs. Short muscles mean short strides and reduced range of motion, which equals SLOW. Yoga will help lengthen those muscles so you can use them more efficiently. You should notice that running becomes easier and you can go faster.

I usually think of yoga as a tag-on to my daily workouts, kind of like a 15 minute walk at lunch. It may not burn a lot of calories, but it's better than spending the time on the couch, right?

If you are just starting, take a class. If they are any good, they'll spend time showing you proper form. Once you get used to it, you can do it at home... I don't even use a video, I just make up a routine based on the poses I know.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, add yoga in addition to your cardio routine.

Yoga will do a world of good for your flexibility and muscle endurance. It's like weight lifting... doesn't burn many calories but amazingly great for your body.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying many different classes (not videos, you can add those later, but you should really have a teacher to begin yoga). Find one you really like. Certain kinds burn more calories than others, but if you find one you will stick with that will keep you going back - consistent exercises is better. Here is some types:

Ashtanga - lots of movement - very difficult for the beginner - held in a 92 degree room - you work on one series until you master that then you move to another.
    BIkram - a lot like Ashtanga, but room is 105 degrees - only has one series
    Power yoga - a type of Ashtanga - room usually isn't as hot and doesn't follow the series - if you want a work out, but aren't ready or want Astanga, this is a good place to begin

Iyengar - if you want to really learn the poses, this is where you should start. Room is never heated. Poses are held for a long time. Props are used a lot.

Viniyoga - classes are good for people with injuries or other limitations - you move in and out of poses

Hatha - general yoga term - most classes have both Iyengar and Ashtanga influences - I would talk to teachers of Hatha yoga to find out what their classes are like. No one is going to be offended if their chanting meditative class isn't for you. Almost all teachers will tell you that they "follow the breath".

Hope that helps.