Body Fat Distribution, what's best?

Options
A topic I mentioned in my introduction thread and I'd like to further expand on, I know weight is about numbers and physiology but I'd like to know how we take that into account for weight loss.

For instance, the shape of our bodies. I noticed I can't really figure a true body "shape" for myself, more or less my fat distribution is centered or pushed up from my limbs. I may have an extremely small and bone-y wrist whereas my upper arms are unusually large, even for being overweight. My calves look lean but my thighs are excessively fatty (not in that hot way either) I have a very large pouch for my belly but my shoulders are looking more sculpted. My butt is kinda flat but the area right above has lots of stored dat. Etc

In this I figured yes, my BMI is good but I look like a mess! This is why I've taken on the challenge to push myself to the lower spectrum of my BMI. I want my figure to look consistent. I've been met with resistance from my parents and doc's assistant but they don't see what I look like under my clothes, and only look at numbers. Any thoughts?

For reference I'm 124lbs , 5' tall, and target is 100lbs

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Your goal is not unrealistic for your height in general. However, what kind of exercise are you doing? If you're not lifting weights, you might want to give it a try. It can help you lean out and consequently the large upper arms and upper thighs would get smaller, giving you more of the shape I believe you're going for. I carry a good deal of my fat in my upper thighs as well but I've found that resistance training with weights for lower body exercises has helped shrink a few inches off of them so far.

ETA: stupid autocorrect took the 'n' out of unrealistic and made my reply look weird. I was trying to say I think your goal is fine but you might also benefit from using weights.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Your goal is not u realistic for your height in general. However, what kind of exercise are you doing? If you're not lifting weights, you might want to give it a try. It can help you lean out and consequently the large upper arms and upper thighs would get smaller, giving you more of the shape I believe you're going for. I carry a good deal of my fat in my upper thighs as well but I've found that resistance training with weights for lower body exercises has helped shrink a few inches off of them so far.

I started a weight trainer reciently and have added lots of protein to my diet for building muscle. I seek to be lean bodied and strong, but my doctor made it seem unrealistic. My arms have always been my weak point but I've always been confused as to why my entire arm wasn't large, just a portion. Specifically I do elliptical and weights, I'll probably throw in the treadmill every so often.

Thanks
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Autocorrect screwed up my original reply, hope it did not offend, I fixed it. :-)
  • AFluffyNyamma
    Options
    Autocorrect screwed up my original reply, hope it did not offend, I fixed it. :-)

I saw that, I'm typing from a phone too so no you didn't, I didn't :) I got a little hasty then I saw the correction haha
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

I saw that, I'm typing from a phone too so no you didn't, I didn't :) I got a little hasty then I saw the correction haha

:-). Watch out for autocorrect, it's a bi-ach. LOL.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    Options
    ^^^ no doubt about that haha!!
  • bjrowles
    bjrowles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? If so, you might want to ask a trainer for a few sessions.
    Weights are a great way to tone and that will actualy drop inches.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? If so, you might want to ask a trainer for a few sessions.
    Weights are a great way to tone and that will actualy drop inches.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately no. I just have a machine at home. I may look into seeing a trainer soon though thank you