Camping Recipe suggestions?

Trying to think of healthier ideas for dinner & breakfast when we camp. We have an ice chest & access to a cookstove, but no grill or open fires. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    egg white omelet in a bag, put everything in a zip lock bag you would put in an omelet on cookstove boil water and put the omelet filled sealed bags in there and boil them till cooked
  • taygrad
    taygrad Posts: 19
    I'm actually camping this weekend as well, so I went searching for recipes. Any more ideas? Someone suggested whole-wheat hot dog buns and all-beef hot dogs...anything else?

I plan to make a few salad in a jars, so there's that.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I camp a good bit, but it's usually associated with an activity like hiking or Appalachian Trail maintenance.

I tend to pack instant oatmeal and hardboiled eggs for breakfast, a Clif bar and some trail mix and dried fruit for lunch, and an easy-to-heat supper (canned soup and bread, spaghetti and sauce, etc).

The key is not to pack a LOT of food, and to plan your meals based on your activities. When we winter-camped up in Baxter State Park, we packed in a lot of calories on our sleds, but then again a "rest day" was only 5 miles of snowshoeing. :)
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    egg white omelet in a bag, put everything in a zip lock bag you would put in an omelet on cookstove boil water and put the omelet filled sealed bags in there and boil them till cooked

I do this at home and love it. So easy and the kids love making theirs
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Homemade soup or stew that you freeze and put in the cooler. It'll act as ice for the stuff in the cooler then put it on the stove to heat up. Hot soup is a welcome first course for dinner or a life saver if you get rained on. Make a heartier soup, stew or maybe beef stroganoff for a main course.
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    maybe some sandwiches or wraps with whole wheat tortillas or bread. just be sure to put them in tupperware if you can, the plastic bags in the ice/ice water kinda does the whole osmosis thing and you get soggy food :(
    i like to bring cut up veggies/fruit too for snacks.