When should child have their own room?

Options
I have a 20 mo/old, 2 1/2 year old and four year old who all share one bedroom. We live in a three bedroom apartment so there is an extra room not being used- the reason being that my four year old didn't want to sleep without the two year old (they shared a room) when it was time to move the baby from our room into a kids room.

Well, they all play nicely but my four year old has nothing of her own and some of her favorite things get broken by tbe younger two. Like tonight, I was cleaning their room and I found most of her barbies missing legs, a book ripped and her little backpack torn.

Do you think it would be better to move her out into her own room?

Replies

• gizziemonkey
    Options
    I would say that if the 4 year old does not want to move into her own room due to leaving her siblings...then I would keep her in there. Most kids want their own room by the age of 6 or 7 but all children are different. I would recommend that if you have the extra room and your concern is mainly her having her personal property destroyed, you could always move some of her favorite play items into the extra room and give her a place of privacy to go or just have that space available for safekeeping valued items.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I would consider moving her, but don't force it. As she gets older she will want privacy, and it's nice that there is the option when the time comes. My kids both had their own rooms since birth, but our oldest slept until our bed til she was 5, and our youngest did until a few months ago, he's almost 4.
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would say at that age a separate bedroom isnt going to fix the broken toy issue. That would be a matter of teaching your eldest to clean stuff up behind her, and trying to explain to the younger ones that "we dont break our toys or we dont have them any more" and "throw them away" (ie a garbage bag in the attic or something along those lines).

I think the own room situation should be based on the sex of your children. Are the two youngest boys? If so, I'd say separate by sex. If they are all girls, then it's just a judgment call on maturity, but I would put the baby in his/her own room until the eldest hit the maturity level that she required her own space.

Just my opinion. I hope it helps.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would say at that age a separate bedroom isnt going to fix the broken toy issue. That would be a matter of teaching your eldest to clean stuff up behind her, and trying to explain to the younger ones that "we dont break our toys or we dont have them any more" and "throw them away" (ie a garbage bag in the attic or something along those lines).

I think the own room situation should be based on the sex of your children. Are the two youngest boys? If so, I'd say separate by sex. If they are all girls, then it's just a judgment call on maturity, but I would put the baby in his/her own room until the eldest hit the maturity level that she required her own space.

I'd have to agree with this! :)
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I like this.