Where can I find self control?

Options
I generally eat quite healthily, but have a really bad habit of overdoing the snacking. Does anyone have any ideas on how to control this? I eat a lit of protein so it's not hunger, it's just 'wanting' the sweet foods

Replies

• crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to get the junk out of your house. Don't buy it. If you want it, you'll have to leave the house and buy it. Keep healthy snacks like veggies (pre-washed and cut) so that it's more convenient to snack healthy.
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I generally eat quite healthily, but have a really bad habit of overdoing the snacking. Does anyone have any ideas on how to control this? I eat a lit of protein so it's not hunger, it's just 'wanting' the sweet foods

It's all in your head for the most part. When we eat it is either Appetite vs. Hunger. Hunger is physiological, meaning the body needs to eat. Appetite is psychological meaning your mind craves and wants to eat. You need to feel like you control the food, not it controlling you because you want it. It's hard to cut sweet foods cold turkey, but if you can find alternative sweet foods, like naturally sweet fruits or veggies that may help you taper off your cravings for processed sweets.

If you do feel like snacking, try some filling sweet foods such as eggs, soup, avocados, greek yogurt, oatmeal, apples, beans and lentils, nuts. Check out my blog on foods to eat and not to eat! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/phllly
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you want to change a bad habit, you have to understand what is the trigger for the behavior and then identify what you are gaining from the behavior. Once you know the trigger, you can plan a different behavior that will provide you with a similar outcome. An example I just read elsewhere: a man was eating cookies at 3 pm every day. He realized the real reason behind that behavior was the social time he would have while eating the cookies with coworkers. So now, when 3 pm arrives, he looks around and finds somebody to talk to and that brings the same outcome and satisfaction. The story said he had not eaten cookies in 6 months because it was a social trigger, not a need for food trigger.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have trouble with the healthy snacks even. Seriously, I could eat 3-4 apples, even if I'm not hungry. Yes, they're healthy, but at 80-100 calories each, when I've already reached my goal? Well, the scale just doesn't move. I've tried drinking water and telling myself I'm not hungry (because I'm really not) but I have yet to figure out how to stop that night time snacking, where I seem to do a ton of damage.