Would you consider this bad for you?

Options
redbekah
redbekah Posts: 35 Member
http://www.tegel.co.nz/index.php/pi_pageid/5/pi_productid/242

My parents made these for dinner tonight with a side of rice and I can't help feel very very guilty about them. Would this be considered junk food?

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits. If it's high calories however, just don't have them very often.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My rule with food is this -
    If I will feel guilty, I won't eat it.
    If I want it a lot and can make it work with a small portion, or with extra exercise to make up for it, or an adjustment somewhere, I will do that.
    Once in a while, I give myself a night off. It takes a lot of calories to equal a pound so chances are, you'll be fine.

But if it will cause you guilt, just don't do it. You just have to start getting comfortable with divorcing food from social obligations and saying no to people.
  • redbekah
    Options
    Thank you, but my parents make dinner every night so I don't get a say. I'm just wondering if you think they are bad for me or not.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They are not that high in calorie, around 200 per serving for a tortilla with chicken. If you read the ingredients it goes: chicken, tortilla, cheese, tomato, a bunch of spices that I will skip and at the end some sugar and a little bit of corn starch to make the sauce thicker. It is prepared food but very similar to something you could put together yourself. I am not sure if I would buy it but if it if were in my fridge I would probably eat it with a salad on the side or with some brown rice.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Why can't you just cook for yourself?
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but my parents make dinner every night so I don't get a say. I'm just wondering if you think they are bad for me or not.

Are your parents not aware of your weight loss efforts? Would they be upset if you made yourself something else when you don't feel like you should eat what they're serving? It seems odd to me that someone who is autonomous enough to track calories has no control over what she eats for dinner. Eating is not a passive activity.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Click on "View Nutritional Information", and it shows the nutritional info. Doesn't look bad. This food alone won't be good for you or bad for you. It's your overall diet that will drive your results.
  • redbekah
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion. Yes I do realise I'm old enough to cook my own dinners but I'm not really able to as my parents are worried I'm not eating enough (even though I eat 1500) and like me to have what they have.
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HI, i wouldnt say its the worst thing you can eat, but in the future doing a similar dish yourself from scratch would be healthier as you could control what goes in, and less additives. ( its also not a difficult dish to do and could be ready just as quickly as a rea\dy meal imho)

How about offering to cook dinner for your folks, say you would like to help out, and are trying to eat more healthily and would like to try some different dishes, Im sure they would be delighted and it would give you more control over your food.

Good luck with your journey. :smile:
  • insaneandroid
    Options
    It's all about portion control
  • jadeb94
    jadeb94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I completely sympathise. I still live at home, and I have asked in the past if my Mum could possibly start buying healthier options for me. All I got from that was a lot of grief about her having to spend extra money on food just for me and the question 'what's so wrong with our food?'. But will she let me buy my own groceries? No.

I can just imagine the grief I would get if I started having different meals to the rest of my family.

I suppose the only thing we can do is try to eat smaller portions and do a lot of exercise to make up for it!
  • nicoletherese14
    Options
    I don't think they're too bad considering you don't have other options, but I would nix the rice and ask for some veges on the side? Or even just lightly boil some frozen beans or other veges yourself to have with them to up the nutrient count, surely your parents couldn't argue with that. As others have said it's all about portion control :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At around 200 calories each, I'd probably eat 3 or 4 of them without guilt. They sound yummy!
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How do you complete a journey of 1000 miles? One step at a time. Offer to help out...make one night a week the "Redbekah Rocks the Kitchen" night. You do the cooking and come up with a healthier, but tasty meal. There are lots of recipes on the web. Design the meal using the protein and vegetables sources your parents like but use recipes that are healthier.

A good place to start might be with homemade versions of the wraps you posted about. By using lower calorie tortillas, lowfat cheese, and skinless chicken breasts you could probably do a great job at a healthier version. Then you could eat guilt free.

Just find a recipe for a southwest or Mexican style of cooking the chicken and the rest is just assembly.

Getting your parents to help move you toward your goals would make your life easier, but realize that you're probably going to have to do it one small step at a time. The best way would be through small actions.

Just the thoughts of one guy.....hope you find value in them.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion. Yes I do realise I'm old enough to cook my own dinners but I'm not really able to as my parents are worried I'm not eating enough (even though I eat 1500) and like me to have what they have.

Well, I can't see the goal weight on your ticker, because you're so close to it, but it looks like it's around 55 on the kgs, and for someone thats on the short side, 55kg is not unhealthy at all. Also in your pic, you don't look unhealthy.

The reason I'm saying this is because maybe it would benefit you to sit down with your parents and explain to them that you're doing this for health reasons, that you want to have XXX type of body composition, and XXX% of body fat, and this is the way you do this. Show them your diary of what you eat, the breakdown of macros on your progress report, etc.

I know my parents who are in their 60's give me grief (or they used to) about being "too thin" even though I was at a completely healthy weight, and decent bf% (around 22%). They called me a food nazi, and kept telling me to just "eat something already" even though they both were obese.