Low carb or low calorie

Options

Replies

• healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    you do realise you will have a BMI of 2 right? being if you go to 88lbs at 5ft2"

eh. what? My BMI would be 16,1 at 88 pounds ...

That's true, and it is still an unhealthy weight. It looks like 101 would be the lowest you would want to go to still be healthy. I agree with the other posters saying you should see a doctor for guidance on this decision.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1300-1400 calories is good with 5 small meals.... eating 5 small meals with a balanced diet speeds up your metabolism, fruits, vegetables, 100% whole wheat and whole grains, things with lots of fiber, lean proteins like baked chicken and fish, turkey, eggs, peanutbutter etc..... never eat lower calorie because it puts your body into starvation mode and when you finally eat it stores everything as fat becasue it knows you are not going to eat to give your body the vitamins and nutrients that you need
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree that 100 pounds is the lowest you should weigh and be healthy (BMI is 18).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I continue to go back and forth with both of these diets. Has anyone lost alot on the low carb diet?

Im following doctor's orders after doing food related allergy testing..

Im doing low-carb but I only consume fresh foods... no more than 1600 calories per day, and she gave me a daily minimum to follow where I have certain medications in the picture....

My stats are pretty self explanatory...8-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    well, if you plan to eat carbs in your future then i wouldn't cut them out for weight loss--lots of water but no long term benefit in doing low carb vs a traditional calorie deficit approach.

Sorry thats not true....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    you do realise you will have a BMI of 2 right? being if you go to 88lbs at 5ft2"

eh. what? My BMI would be 16,1 at 88 pounds ...
    And anything under 18.5 for BMI is considered underweight and unhealthy. A BMI of 16 is incredibly unhealthy.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do low carb with a cheat day in there. Works well for me.
  • tigersword
    Options
    well, if you plan to eat carbs in your future then i wouldn't cut them out for weight loss--lots of water but no long term benefit in doing low carb vs a traditional calorie deficit approach.

Sorry thats not true....
    What's not true? Low carb diets offer no fat burning benefits over higher carb, traditional diets. That's been scientifically proven time and again. Low carb offers faster initial weight loss due to the reduction of stored glycogen, which causes roughly 8-10 pounds of immediate water weight loss. Fat loss is the same.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20107198

Low carb diet vs low calorie diet. Both lost the same amount of weight, the low carb diet raised LDL cholesterol more than the low carb diet. Everything else was basically the same. Barring an insulin resistance medical problem, low carb does not hold any kind of metabolic advantage for fat loss over any other type of diet.
  • tigersword
    Options

Sorry thats not true....
    What's not true? Low carb diets offer no fat burning benefits over higher carb, traditional diets. That's been scientifically proven time and again. Low carb offers faster initial weight loss due to the reduction of stored glycogen, which causes roughly 8-10 pounds of immediate water weight loss. Fat loss is the same.

What tiger said doesn't mean "there is NO BENEFIT" to lower carbs, there are benefits to lower carbs, but in terms of weight loss calorie per calorie, there is little differences
    I haven't found any long term benefits to low carbing for anyone who doesn't have diabetes or other insulin resistance issues.

Low carb can lower serotonin, which is bad. It can lead to reduced lean mass, which is bad. It can screw up Growth hormone and insulin regulation, which is bad. It can raise LDL cholesterol levels, which is bad. Other than assisting insulin resistance, and occasionally childhood epilepsy, I see no real benefits to low carbing.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    see the attached link. It might work for those who have trouble sticking to the low carb but don't like to count calories everyday.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/08/study-cutting-carbs-two-days-a-week-is-better-than-full-time-dieting/

Please note that this study was conducted on women only. Also ,the article does not mention how many participants there were so I'm not sure about the validity of this study. (just throwing this out there)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Sorry thats not true....

What tiger said doesn't mean "there is NO BENEFIT" to lower carbs, there are benefits to lower carbs, but in terms of weight loss calorie per calorie, there is little differences

okay--let's split hairs and try to make a point by drawing on semantics--clearly we're talking about the weight loss context--I think that goes without saying.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    neither. moderate calorie deficit. balanced macros. exercise.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    neither. moderate calorie deficit. balanced macros. exercise.

^^ what he said.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1300-1400 calories is good with 5 small meals.... eating 5 small meals with a balanced diet speeds up your metabolism, fruits, vegetables, 100% whole wheat and whole grains, things with lots of fiber, lean proteins like baked chicken and fish, turkey, eggs, peanutbutter etc..... never eat lower calorie because it puts your body into starvation mode and when you finally eat it stores everything as fat becasue it knows you are not going to eat to give your body the vitamins and nutrients that you need

Sigh.
  • AC417
    AC417 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of success cutting down on white flour, refined sugar and most starches, but I also have insulin issues. I used to eat a starch with every meal (and I mean EVERY meal), but now I try and get my carbs from healthy sources like beans and fruits. Every now and again I will eat some potato, a little bit of rice and pasta but not every day like I used to. If I choose to eat bread, I make sure it's whole wheat or sprouted grain. Once a month I'll splurge and have a couple of slices of thin crust pizza, but I make sure I have a big salad with lots of lemon first.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Does that tell us what each group actually ate ?

"Participants in the high-fat condition were instructed to consume a diet that was low in carbohydrate and thus higher in
    percentage fat and/or protein (13). The central feature of this approach is carbohydrate restriction with unlimited consumption
    of fat and protein. "
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Low carb does not necessarily raise LDL. I have done it for almost 6 months and my LDL is the same and my HDL has gone up (which is good).

First of all define low carb? I net under 75 per day which means I basically eat no breads, grains and beans. I have no trouble maintaining this and contrary to popular belief, the one time I went over I did not automagically put all my lost weight back on. In fact, not even a gain the next day as shocking as that sounds.

As far as which I would recommend, I would say why choose? I do restricted calories and carbs and it is working fine for me. The choices I make have to be healthy or I would get hungry so I eat a lot of lean protein and veggies. I don't think too many Drs. would see fault in that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Can you substantiate that eating 5 small meals will speed up your metabolism and that eating low cals will put your body in "starvation mode" and cause everything to be stored as fat? Or are you making things up as usual?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency does not speed up your metabolism. Its just not true. Broscience at work.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Can you substantiate that eating 5 small meals will speed up your metabolism and that eating low cals will put your body in "starvation mode" and cause everything to be stored as fat? Or are you making things up as usual?

You're incorrect, My TDEE is about 3,250 a day. I ate 10 times a day at 2,800 calories and lost weight, my metabolism sped up.

So....now your TDEE is higher than the 3250 you started out with? Are you exercising and lifting?

Eating more times a day in and of itself will absolutely not speed up your metabolism.

Eta: by the way, you lost weight on 2800 a day because it was lower than your tdee. Thats how weight loss works.