The taste of food - please respond!

Options
Now that I've been watching my sodium and sugar intake, I am more aware of how food tastes. I never let my daily sodium intake get higher than 2,300 mg.

Last night, I ordered some grilled asparagus from a high end restaurant, and the first thing that hit my taste buds was the saltiness. I even mentioned it to the server. Then, I let my husband try a bite and he felt it wasn't as nearly salty as I'd thought it was.

I believe food should taste like what it is supposed to taste like. My rule of thumb is: if salt is the first thing you taste when you put something in your mouth, and it's NOT supposed to be salty, then I shouldn't be eating it.

Has your palate changed since you've started eating better?

Replies

• Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't say this has happened yet, but I've noticed I've started to really enjoy a lot of healthier foods that I never would have touched in the past! I'd say it's a good thing you are on to this! :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    YES!! since I've been tracking and limiting my sodium -barely use it when I cook at home now. When I do eat out its the first thing I taste in all the foods!!! everything is too salty now for me-while others say its great.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have not added salt to any food since January and I can really taste the salt in food when I dine out. I now ask for my food to be prepared with no salt added if possible.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never have salted my food much at home, but I def taste the difference while dining out. The biggest thing I notice different now is sweets. I've been getting sugar free or reduced sugar things such as pudding packs. When I taste a regular dessert now, they are sometimes almost too sweet! :noway: