Fasting

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    find that as soon as I say "I'm on a diet", my body freaks out, I binge, eat things in quantities I never would have on any other day, and I think it's because my body is stocking up because it doesn't know when it's next going to get any food!

Your body?

It sounds like you are describing something you clearly don't have any ownership or control of.

Nope, couldn't be -your- body.

No, I'm not denying that it is MY body, and my choices. Have you ever had an eating disorder? Do you know the psychological battles that it causes you to have with yourself?

I'm asking for help, not judgement. So if you don't have anything useful to say, I'd rather you said nothing at all.

Cheers.

Yes and my condescendingly put point was that the only way to overcome that instinct is to deny it. You had (past tense) an eating disorder so you are clearly capable of incredible self control since you got past that. You are looking at two sides of the same coin. The help you are asking for is to draw your own awareness to something you are very capable of doing; as you have proven to yourself.

It is as simple as telling yourself, "Yes" and "No" with ownership; which is the biggest aide anyone here has in their respective purpose for being here.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    i would say that we should all fast.. a day or two during the week. but that goes along with my religious belief. but recently there was an article ....http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine022612.html on the benefit of fasting once or twice a week.

I see IF as different. People fasting for religious purposes usually fast strictly; deprivation and sacrifice are part of the point. Some people only drink water while adults during Yom Kippur don't consume anything. For Lent, Catholics give up something they enjoy.

IF is a health-oriented form of fasting. You can drink water, tea, coffee, sugarless beverages, anything that will not create an insulin response.
  • tallhottie
    Options
    I think that this can lead to eating disorders later. If you are going to fast, talk with your doctor about how to do it healthy (or if it is even healthy for you to do).
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I think that this can lead to eating disorders later. If you are going to fast, talk with your doctor about how to do it healthy (or if it is even healthy for you to do).

What makes you think this? I know it's not the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who use this form of caloric intake successfully every day, and long term...that have convinced you of that.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    I think that this can lead to eating disorders later.
    so, according to you, all Orthodox Christians, together with Muslims, should by now have eating disorders? :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    so, according to you, all Orthodox Christians, together with Muslims, should by now have eating disorders? :)

Don't forget some Buddhists, and any number of other religions as part of which people fast from time to time.
  • Aineko
    Options

Don't forget some Buddhists, and any number of other religions as part of which people fast from time to time.
    sure, them too :). I just mentioned cultures I have close experience with.
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    I obviously have a different opinion over everyone else ... Everyone thinks 'Oh fasting is very bad for you, because your metabolism slows down.' Or it puts you at risks for things... Not true! I fasted before for two weeks , and by the way I been fasting today . I drink low calorie boost shakes one a day , crystal light truvia mixed berry water mix . There is a supplement I bought today at Walmart that boosts you metabolism , and gives you A LOT of energy. It's called Cayenne Fruit , it makes your stomach feel warm like spicy... Like you just ate the peppers, without the bad effect in your mouth. And I ran 2miles , worked in the yard for 2hours, I did pilates, and cleaned the house. Although my heart rate is like 175 when I was running... I only take these supplements so my metabolism stays high when I start to fast. Diet ginger ale helps kick cravings also. Fasting helps get rid of wastes, and toxins in your body you don't need. I don't recommend fasting over two weeks. My doctor said it was fine as long as I drank the boost shake in the morning to keep nutrients in my body. Honestly, everyone's body is different. I don't listen to the 'Normal way of dieting and exercise' because none of that ever works for me. I rather do what my body thinks is best for me. And I don't have an eating disorder, so don't think that. LOL I'm 5lbs over weight.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    To be honest I'm not really sure what to say to ^^^^.

I do hope you're under medical supervision though.
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    At least eat the minimum calories your body needs to survive.
  • Aineko
    Options
    Fasting helps get rid of wastes, and toxins in your body you don't need.
    which toxins and how does your body get rid of them?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fasting helps get rid of wastes, and toxins in your body you don't need.
    which toxins and how does your body get rid of them?
    None, and it doesn't. I think fasting too long has done some damage to that one's brain...

A 24 hour fast once or twice a week is a good thing. An 18 hour fast daily is a good thing. A 2 week starvation fast, isn't. There's no such thing as a pill to boost your metabolism. Doesn't work like that.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking of fasting today and not sure the do's and don't and if it wil yield negative/positive results tomorrow.
    I had a horrible week food wise. To the point I consumed roughly 600 calories after 8:30 p.m. last night and that was only last night's negatives.
    I have been struggling the last few weeks/month with poor losses and am beginning to feel very defeated. Yet, every time I tell myself the next week is going to be different, it is not. I am giving in to temptation left and right and allowing myself to take bites of peanut butter from the jar and not logging it, etc, etc. You get the point.
    If I see a gain tomorrow, I know this will throw me further into a tailspin. I am grasping at straws here. I am not delusianal, i know this isn't a cure all. I just feel like i need a reset and this could be it. I don't plan on doing it more than 24 hours, or regularly, or anythign like that...just today.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I am totally in your boat, and I am trying the same thing. This is definately not recommended for everyone, and it's not meant to be long term. My reasons for doing this is to detox from a weekend of eating what ever I want. (The weekends are my cheat days) I weigh-in on Saturday, so I have Saturday and Sunday to eat and enjoy food without counting. I do Mon-Wed for six hours (6 to 6) fast. I drink plenty of water, have a multi-vitamin, and I exercise in the morning. Since the only time I'm really hungry is in the evenings anyway, I eat dinner, a snack and I go to bed. Last week, I lost almost 4 lbs. I want to lose 20 lbs really quickly, than I am going back to 3 meals, healthy snacks, etc.
    Again, may not be the healthiest diet, but I have my reasons for why I feel it works for me. I'm a little defensive, simply because I know a lot of criticism is coming my way. At the end of the day, you have to do, what you feel is best for you.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    I obviously have a different opinion over everyone else ... Everyone thinks 'Oh fasting is very bad for you, because your metabolism slows down.' Or it puts you at risks for things... Not true! I fasted before for two weeks , and by the way I been fasting today . I drink low calorie boost shakes one a day , crystal light truvia mixed berry water mix . There is a supplement I bought today at Walmart that boosts you metabolism , and gives you A LOT of energy. It's called Cayenne Fruit , it makes your stomach feel warm like spicy... Like you just ate the peppers, without the bad effect in your mouth. And I ran 2miles , worked in the yard for 2hours, I did pilates, and cleaned the house. Although my heart rate is like 175 when I was running... I only take these supplements so my metabolism stays high when I start to fast. Diet ginger ale helps kick cravings also. Fasting helps get rid of wastes, and toxins in your body you don't need. I don't recommend fasting over two weeks. My doctor said it was fine as long as I drank the boost shake in the morning to keep nutrients in my body. Honestly, everyone's body is different. I don't listen to the 'Normal way of dieting and exercise' because none of that ever works for me. I rather do what my body thinks is best for me. And I don't have an eating disorder, so don't think that. LOL I'm 5lbs over weight.

Great job!! I'm trying something similar to lose 20 lbs really quickly, so it's nice to see a response that's not bashing fasting!!
  • hollajonah
    Options
    I actually have tried Fasting. I only drank liquid for 6 days and I already lost atleast 5 lbs. But when I stopped fasting, I started eating more and I easily gained back the weight I lost. It was a really hard challenge cause everywhere I look, there would be food. I wouldn't say it's bad but don't try it cause it seems like you'd only get hungrier after. :)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I am totally in your boat, and I am trying the same thing. This is definately not recommended for everyone, and it's not meant to be long term. My reasons for doing this is to detox from a weekend of eating what ever I want. (The weekends are my cheat days) I weigh-in on Saturday, so I have Saturday and Sunday to eat and enjoy food without counting. I do Mon-Wed for six hours (6 to 6) fast. I drink plenty of water, have a multi-vitamin, and I exercise in the morning. Since the only time I'm really hungry is in the evenings anyway, I eat dinner, a snack and I go to bed. Last week, I lost almost 4 lbs. I want to lose 20 lbs really quickly, than I am going back to 3 meals, healthy snacks, etc.
    Again, may not be the healthiest diet, but I have my reasons for why I feel it works for me. I'm a little defensive, simply because I know a lot of criticism is coming my way. At the end of the day, you have to do, what you feel is best for you.

Why would intermittent fasting not be considered to be 'meant to be long term'??

I keep asking these questions...but no one replies lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Why would intermittent fasting not be considered to be 'meant to be long term'??

Because some of the people posting don't really know what they are talking about. There are some that do but have not answered you questions I guess. Intermittent fasting is just that, intermittent. You can do it several time per week or once or every couple of weeks. You can do 24 hours, 18 hours or 16 hours. The benefits have been stated. I do it 2x to 3x per week for 16 to 18 hours. Helps with fat loss. You can do it everyday if you want, just make sure most days you are getting a resonable number of calories for a person your size. Fasting does not "detox". Your liver does any "detox" as always.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Because some of the people posting don't really know what they are talking about. There are some that do but have not answered you questions I guess. Intermittent fasting is just that, intermittent. You can do it several time per week or once or every couple of weeks. You can do 24 hours, 18 hours or 16 hours. The benefits have been stated. I do it 2x to 3x per week for 16 to 18 hours. Helps with fat loss. You can do it everyday if you want, just make sure most days you are getting a resonable number of calories for a person your size. Fasting does not "detox". Your liver does any "detox" as always.

Amen...and that's exactly the point I was making.

I know it's the internet...and I know there's NOTHING that can be done about it. But I hate...hate hate hate...when people burst into a thread with an uninformed opinion based on zero...and say 'This is how it is'. If they're persuasive, they just perpetuate myths that end up harming more people than they help 90% of the time.

/sigh.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Amen...and that's exactly the point I was making.

I know it's the internet...and I know there's NOTHING that can be done about it. But I hate...hate hate hate...when people burst into a thread with an uninformed opinion based on zero...and say 'This is how it is'. If they're persuasive, they just perpetuate myths that end up harming more people than they help 90% of the time.

/sigh.

I'm with ya, brother!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This IF thing has got me really interested now..

BUT

.. I have a history of eating disorders, and find that as soon as I say "I'm on a diet", my body freaks out, I binge, eat things in quantities I never would have on any other day, and I think it's because my body is stocking up because it doesn't know when it's next going to get any food! (sounds ridiculous i know but it's the only way i can explain). This time round I'm doing okay as I'm making lifestyle choices - going to the gym alot, eating well but not denying myself anything.
    I fear that if I fast, even just for 24 hrs, it's going to trigger a response in me and cause me to binge! and whenever I binge, the first thing I go to do is purge (generally spend 20 mins arguing with myself about it, then when i decide to go to do it, i know all the cals have been absorbed anyway so i don't do it, i just go in a bad mood all day.)

I guess I would have to look at it differently. Sometimes this happens anyway without me even realising it, if i have got a busy day in university for example, I won't eat until 4 - 5 o clock which is about a 22hr fast.

Pointless post, just wondering whether anyone has any views on what i should do, or a way to do it without triggering that instinct?
    I don't see IF as a "diet." It's just how I eat. Personally I use the "Eat Stop Eat" method of IF, which incorporates one or two 20-24 hour fasts per week. I fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Basically, I eat dinner Monday night, then I eat nothing until dinner on Tuesday. I eat a normal sized dinner on Tuesday, and resume regular eating on Wednesday. So, I eat nothing, just drink water from Monday night until Tuesday night, and again from Wednesday night until Thursday night. What I like about it, is the other 5 days of the week I eat at maintenance. Overall, it works out to about a 3500 calorie defect each week. Plus it's very flexible, as I can change my fasting days around from week to week, based on my specific life schedule.