At home exercise and diet suggestions...

Options
For belly fat/toning stomach. I am basically at my goal weight, having lost about 30 pounds an ad 4-5 pant sizes. My stomach is still fatty and protuding, though it has gone down a lot. I want to start focusing on losing that and toning. What foods should I eat and what should I avoid? What at-home exercises can I do too?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I can't help much on the foods, except keep it cleanish and healthy, with a good dose or protein and a little lower on carbs., but as far as at home work outs I would suggest something like Jillian Michaels vids, maybe 6 week 6 pack and/or ripped in 30. both are overall work-outs, but 6 week 6 pack focuses a little more on tummy, if you haven't done them they are circuit training, so a little cardio and strength together, I think she is easy to follow and her work outs are a Little intense but short, so it makes them easier to fit in a regular day. How seriously you follow the program (as far as how often you do it) is up to you, and how fast you want results.

Meg
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meg. :flowerforyou:
  • LA723
    Options
    Any other suggestions?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try to limit your sugar intake to less than 30-35 grams a day. This includes fruit! Make sure your protein intake is higher than your carb intake. Ideally, 100-120 carbs and At least 150 grams of protein. Your body will show 80% of your diet and only about 20% of working out so make sure your diet is clean, avoid processed foods and unhealthy fats.
  • LA723
    Options
    Try to limit your sugar intake to less than 30-35 grams a day. This includes fruit! Make sure your protein intake is higher than your carb intake. Ideally, 100-120 carbs and At least 150 grams of protein. Your body will show 80% of your diet and only about 20% of working out so make sure your diet is clean, avoid processed foods and unhealthy fats.

Great advice! Thanks! :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No advice on diet because I eat everything. But do you weight train at all? Weight training will tighten things up. Use heavy (for you) weights.
  • LA723
    Options
    No, I don't weight train right now. I don't even know where to begin!
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv.com
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I really think punches help the waistline. I have tried Turbo jam, Billy Blanks Tae Bo and other kickboxing videos. You get standing ab workouts with each one and it's great cardio. I have a ton of extra skin on my belly but it looks ok in pants now. I went from a 12 to a 2. Good Luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This isnt required. People should aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35g of fat per lb of weight and the rest should be carbs. The way you cut fat is through weight training.

OP, if you want to cut fat and tone you need to weight train. Programs like p90x, p90x2 or chalean extreme will provide good results if you follow tue nutrition guide and workout routine.
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel a little silly replying as I haven't tried these yet, but I have also been searching for at-home exercise that I can do with minimal equipment and I was just reading another thread on the success stories page where the poster recommended this link:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

I'm going to try these soon!