Car snack suggestions, please!

Options
katejkelley
katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
I am going to be spending a lot of time in the car in the next week and would love some healthy snack options. (Please, no "carrot and celery sticks" - for some reason, they upset my stomach when I'm driving.) I tend to nod off when driving so need something to keep me occupied more than to satisfy hunger. I always have coffee/Diet Coke/water, but need something to chew on, too. I'd love to hear what others have found!

Replies

• laracox
    laracox Posts: 1
    Options
    Any special K Chip/crackers! 27 chips are 110 calories...and the special K fruit crisp is only 100. VERY good and filling. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Seasoned Nori. Crunchy yumi goodness.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Here are a few options you might use.
    pre-packaged 100 calorie snacks (good for portion control but watch for sugar and salt!)
    apples and peanut butter
    homemade trailmix (nuts, raisins, low fat granola)
    almonds (or any nut you prefer, just watch the amount as they can be high in calories but have great protein and the good kind of fats)

If you're going to have a cooler with you:
    cheese and fruit
    cottage cheese and fruit
    yogurt (especially greek yogurt as it is so high in protein!)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beef jerky, cheese sticks
  • dayswillpass
    Options
    Seasoned Nori. Crunchy yumi goodness.

Thisthisthisthis. A massive amount of it is like 60 calories and it's so good! Just be careful of the sodium.

Those 100 calorie bags of popcorn are good too.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I was going to say the Special K Cracker Chips--they're my favorite!

You might also try reduced fat wheat thins, peanuts, pistachios, bananas, grapes, light string cheese, trail mix, raisins/craisins, blueberries/blackberries/raspberries, reduced fat cereal bars, dry cereal (watch the ingredients), and as an added "stay awake help": I know a lot of people who download audio books for long commutes or travels. There are more and more popular books being added to audio book selections!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Things we usually have in the car:
    Granola bars (Fiber One Oats and Chocolate is 140 calories, high fiber. Luna bars are in the 180-190 calorie range, little higher protein, although not by much)
    Nilla Wafers (more for the kids than me, but 8 cookies for only 140 calories)
    Goldfish (again, more for the kids than me, but it's something like 110 calories for 55 (!) goldfish crackers)
    Pre-measure some protein powder and mix in a bottle of water (you'll need a blender bottle or something like that)
    Pre-portion some chicken breast or turkey breast. If you buy deli stuff, just be aware you're going to get slammed with sodium (usually 500mg per 2 ounce serving) and you'll want more water than normal.
  • guyhaggard
    Options
    kroger rice cakes flavored
  • ravanhart
    Options
    Pastachio nuts. They are the lowest in fat above all nuts. and it takes 49 of them compared to 13 of the other nut varieties — at only 160 calories. I love to suck on the salty shell first and then eat the nut. The experience lasts longer and you feel satisfied.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Popchips - 22 for 120 ... I love the Salt and Pepper flavor. The whole bag is 360.

I know you said no carrots and celery but we love sweet red bell peppers and cucumbers. You can get snack packs of hummus now a days too. Hubby loves carrots and hummus.

Greek yogurt

Fiber One bars - they have a 90 calorie version and a 140 calorie version. You can find these in some gas station too. The high fiber and protein sticks with you but they are sweet so like eating a candy bar sort of.

Fiber One Brownies - 90 calories - high fiber and protein

Almonds

Pistachios - my hubby loves these and Dr Oz says they are good at lowering cholesterol.

The key is the protein and fiber levels up so your blood sugar doesn't crash. Good fats in nuts help with that too. High fiber fruits like apples. So apples and peanut butter.

Lots of water, fresh air, walking around at rest areas to keep the blood circulating. Good tunes! Someone staying awake with you during rough patches. :)

Have a safe trip!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I like Clif bars - Chocolate Brownie and Chocolate Almond Fudge are two of my favorite flavors. They also have a Toffee flavor with added caffeine for a pick-me-up, although I don't like it as well. Karr's makes a Wasabi Nut Crunch mix that is really good, if you like wasabi flavor. Triscuits in the Cracked Black Pepper and Olive Oil flavor are yummy, too. I can't eat too many of those and they satisfy the crunch craving.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Larabars!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I love Zone bar chocolate mint or luna lemonzest bar. I think something with protien.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Oh .... I forgot our other road trip snack.... deli meat roll ups. I get deli chicken or turkey, 2% kraft cheese slices and red pepper slices. I usually put 1/3 of a slice of cheese on a slice of deli meat (thick enough to roll up so no shaved deli meats) and a thick slice of red pepper. Make a bunch and put them in a tupperware container. Ham with some laughing cow light swiss cheese. Hubby wants the 2% pepper jack cheese in his. Laughing cow has lots of flavors too. Cucumber spears work well too but tend to get watery over time and melts the cheese. So it gets messy, eat them first. The peppers add a good crunch to it and that's why we use them.

This was a South Beach Diet snack we learned years ago that we still do to this date.

One thing I love is a basil leaf in with the cheese, pepper and turkey. So there are lots of ways you can do this. rolling them up makes them great finger snacks.
  • dooley42
    dooley42 Posts: 8
    Options
    any 100 calorie snacks
  • jlh69
    jlh69 Posts: 4
    Options
    watch those they have partially hydrogentated oils
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    You tend to nod off when driving!?! I think you should worry less about snacks and more about this!! Get someone to help with the driving before you hurt/kill someone or yourself!
  • jlh69
    jlh69 Posts: 4
    Options
    EMERALD COCOA ROAST ALMONDS
    MIXED NUTS (NO ADDED SALT)
    ANN'S HOUSE GOOD HEALTH ENERGY BLEND
    ANN'S HOUSE CHOCOLATE GRANOLA MIX
    BARE NAKED GRANOLA
  • carolyns19
    Options
    Corn/Rice mini cakes (the flavored kind-- caramel and cheese are delish!)

Fruit! Apples, Bananas, Strawberries-- just have a bag to throw peels/cores into

Emerald Cocoa-dusted almonds

PB&J sandwiches

Personally, I love making my own "lunchables" deli meat, sliced up cheese, and low-cal crackers (Almond thins are great!)
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually eat grapes when I'm driving :)