How much sodium is too much??

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
Silly question I know.. but just wondering....i know that it makes you retain water.. and right now I feel like im retaining about 10lbs of it!
hahahah

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    try to keep it as low as you can...you'll hear vastly different numbers depending on the source, but aim for LOW. American Heart Assn. says 500mg/day. MFP allows more, because it is so hard to avoid. Just try to do your best to keep it down...:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    AND...on the sortasame topic... I saw someone posting that when they are hungry but do not want to go over on their calories, they DRINK SALT WATER. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Please, NEVER do this...salt water is a poison, it can damage your organs to do this.

(it wasn't the original poster who advocated this practice, I was just reminded of it)
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The daily recommended max intake is 2500 mg. That varies between sites, but if you can stay under 2500, you're doing good, then you can work on it from there.

Retaining water? I drank some Lipton Green Tea with Citrus (diet) yesterday, just a little bit... and I had to use the bathroom every 10 mins. Didn't realize it was a diuretic. So there ya go, grab a Liptons, and no more retaining water! LOL
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    the Canadian amout that they(dietician something, can't think of whatthey are called right now) say to stay at 1500 mg per day

drinking salt water???? YUCK!!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    here is the link i found to some info on it

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/10/salt-diet.html

HTH
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    I never know how much to have.. and to be honest it's something that I never bothered to look at when looking at the labels.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    I never know how much to have.. and to be honest it's something that I never bothered to look at when looking at the labels.

You can also track your sodium intake on your food diary. If you go to settings, you can choose which things to track. I like to track my sodium because it's basically my favorite food. haha, chips, etc. So I have to be careful.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    when I started doing this (tracking the sodium) I was SHOCKED at how high it can get so easily.

big time offenders:
    lunch meat
    soup
    hummus :sad:
    sauces (even sweet ones!)
    soy sauce (kinda a no-brainer, but I eat it a lot)
    processed anything, really
    chicken breasts!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I got this from the American Heart Association website:

Aim to eat less than 2,300 mg of salt per day. Some people — African Americans, middle-aged and older adults, and people with high blood pressure — need less than 1,500 mg per day.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I get the part about middle age and older adults, but why would African Americans need a different sodium amount? anybody know?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising a lot where you are sweating, you need to make sure that you have enough sodium.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I get the part about middle age and older adults, but why would African Americans need a different sodium amount? anybody know?

I believe that African Americans are so extremely likely to develop high blood pressure that they are simply advised as though they do.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    wow. :noway:

(johnny carson voice)

I did not know that!

thanks!