Working out in the morning vs the evening?

Options
Island_Style20
Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
Hey folks,
I always work out early in the morning (usually around 5am) for an hour. However, is it worse to workout in the morning if you have the entire day that you have to eat 3 meals/snacks...and then go to bed, not working out anymore until the next day? Just seems like I am defeating the purpose. Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    noooo alot of bodybuilders workout 5-6am.. keeep up the good work and waking up that early to get ur workouts in. .
  • Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the input! Was beginning to wonder if I needed to do two workouts a day! :-/
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I usually work out first thing in the morning too, although not that early, haha. I don't think it matters ~all~ that much when you work out, so long as you do. My personal philosophy on the matter is, if I start my day with a workout, then no matter what else I do today I will have accomplished something. Also, it's a nicer way to wake up than a blast of cold water - and if you really work up a sweat out there, the cold water even feels good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Work out when you feel best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have read that working out in the AM kick starts your metabolism for the whole day. Honestly though, I work out first thing in the morning because I am a procrastinator and always manage to find excuse for not working out once my day has started. Good for you - the important thing is that you are working out - keep up the good work!
  • Ladyvirgosdj
    Ladyvirgosdj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I do early mornings as well. I get up about 4:30 and feed my 4 month old then I go down at 5:30 and do 45 minutes then I get everybody ready for school then i go off to work. I love my early morning workouts. Keep up the good work...
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eating after you workout is a good thing - you are giving your body nutrients to recover from that workout. Its more important to fit exercise into your life than to worry about whether or not the timing of every workout is perfect. I'm not sure if it makes a difference either way, but if it does, I would wager that the difference is barely significant.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    In the overall scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Metabolism boosts from exercising generally last 24 hours, so the "exercise in the morning to boost your metabolism" concept is a myth.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference.
  • pooja0719
    pooja0719 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1 do workout twice.....in early morning 5 am i do my walking wid jogging and thn in aftrnoon in gym i spend ateast 2 hrs....still not loosing properly ....donno y
  • Mom23djd
    Mom23djd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do the same. Alarm set for 5am every morning. It's the only time I have. I've always heard that morning exercise is best because it gives your metabolism a boost for the day. Haven't ever looked into it, though, so don't know how much support is really behind it.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening after work. I feel better doing so, plus I'm not a morning person.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

I prefer to work out around Midday, but that's not always possible, so half the time I workout around 8pm. I would never work out first thing in the mornings, but that's just because I'm not a morning person at all!
  • PBfilledpretzel
    Options
    I'd workout in the morning only because for ME, it helps start my day off right and healthy, ya know what I mean?
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't really think it makes any difference, as it's not like working out in the evening burns off the exact food that you've just eaten, so the calories in/out ratio is still going to be the same.

Personally I do pretty much all my exercise just before dinner, as I hate exercising after food cos it makes me feel sick, I never finish uni before 5pm, and there is no way I'm getting up early enough to exercise before I start at 8/9am (I have a very typical student-sleep relationship - me and sleep are great friends :D)
  • tesci74
    tesci74 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have also heard that working out in the morning boosts your metabolism but I work out when I can. Some days it's early morning others as late as 8pm. The important thing is that I get a good work out in!