Runners--weight gain after long run?

How much do you go up in weight geherally? How long of a run does it take to cause scale spikes?

For me I gain 2-4 pounds when running 15+ and it lasts 3-4 days.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    2 to 4 lbs is normal for me too when I do a run much longer than 1.5 hrs but I'm usually back down in a couple of days (I won't even bother getting on the scale tomorrow - 18km LSD today)
  • Have a great run!!! 15 miles today for me.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    I don't usually notice much movement in the scales but typically 13 miles is my max training run. However, my last competitive 13.1 mile run I showed a gain of 3lb for at least 3 days after (I don;t weigh every day but added a couple of extra weighings that week). I think this gain was because on race day it was unusually hot.
  • Today my muscles feel completely torn to shreds--i would expect a huge scale increase tomorrow but I'm not weighing in.
  • nikki412
    nikki412 Posts: 6 Member
    I did an 80 min run yesterday. I was up 4 lbs today (I only consumed 1400 calories yesterday). I have no idea why the scale goes up when I run. How long does this last?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    II typically run three short runs during the week (5-7 miles) and a long run on the weekends (13 or more depending on training schedule)

If my shoes have more than 250 miles on them, I notice a little more discomfort (mild pins and needles feeling) in my legs and I gain a few pounds. When I buy new shoes, I do not have any discomfort and I don't gain much weight after my long runs.

I do not know what is going on but I suspect I am causing some muscle damage (inflammation) beyond the basic soreness that I used to get.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    II typically run three short runs during the week (5-7 miles) and a long run on the weekends (13 or more depending on training schedule)

If my shoes have more than 250 miles on them, I notice a little more discomfort (mild pins and needles feeling) in my legs and I gain a few pounds. When I buy new shoes, I do not have any discomfort and I don't gain much weight after my long runs.

I do not know what is going on but I suspect I am causing some muscle damage (inflammation) beyond the basic soreness that I used to get.

I get that pins and needles feeling sometimes while running too...is it really associated with my shoes being worn down?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    I don't notice any weight gain after long runs. I'm usually down 2-3 pounds immediately after my longer runs, but I gain those back over the day as I rehydrate. I haven't noticed gaining above and beyond lost water weight, though.
  • mojohowitz

I get that pins and needles feeling sometimes while running too...is it really associated with my shoes being worn down?

I think so. I was trying to decide if I wanted to open a thread about this. I 've been running about 10 years now and I've noticed a distinct difference in the sensations in my legs. One is the basic good soreness I feel after a long healthy run. The other sensation, the pins and needles, definitely feels different and much more malevolent. When I start to feel this I get new shoes and it goes away. I've even went back to older shoes to test and the same pins and needles returns.

Being a larger guy, 6'5" 220 lbs, I only get about 250 miles or 10-12 weeks about of a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Creations.
  • mojohowitz
    Oops. OP has deactivated account.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I did 10 miles yesterday.. It was called a run, but it was more like hiking up and mountain with the terrain. Oh and there were obstacles. took me 4h23m 25+ obstacles and 2,000 feet up and back down. I am up a few pounds. (and very very sore and sunburnt) I don't think i'm dehydrated and i didn't do the "i can eat as much as i want since I ran" thing. Although I did have 2 beers and 4 Twizzlers.

So that is normal? I'm assuming so and that it will be gone in a day or two.