Sodium...How much??

Options
Hello everyone,

PMS triggered a curiosity in me about water retention and salt/sodium intake and as I researched I came to find out that the average adult needs approximately 2300-2400 milligrams.

I have my food diary on MFP set up to indicate my sodium intake and it advices that I consume 2500 milligrams. I would think that for weight loss it should be less since sodium increases water weight gain, but I'm not an expert.

Any idea why this could be?

Thanx a bunch!! :wink:

-Jackie

Replies

• rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    Your body needs sodium, especially if you tend to do heavy workouts. In fact, when you work out you should try to replace the sodium your body releases through sweat with a low calorie electrolyte drink instead of water. High intakes of sodium, more than 2500 are not recommended because a consistent high sodium diet increases your risk for cardiovascular disease. But don't fret over your sodium intake, if it makes you feel better lower your consumption to 2000mg per day(about 1 teaspoon of table salt).
  • jmuniz00
    jmuniz00 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanx for da response. :smile:
    Very helpful.

-Jackie
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    check out this link on sodium, someone else asked this same ? earlier today and i gave them the link as well

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/10/salt-diet.html