Some days I don't even recognize myself

Options
DaveneGfit
DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
I am what you would call an ex-professional dieter, I actually learned that term from a fellow MFP member :), but that is how I would describe myself. As long as I can remember I have struggled with my weight and never felt comfortable in my own skin. As a result I spent many years depressed and afraid to be social, which would lead to more using food to hide the pain.

Though the years my weight went up and down. I tried everything from diet pills, weight watchers, and even a crazy cleanse where I didn't eat for 10 days. A lot of times those options would work, but I would gain the weight back within in a couple of months. This continued for many years.

Last year I had come to my lowest of low when I realized I had let so much time pass where I didn't reach my goal. Each January I would say, this is going to be the year, and the goal of finally taking my life back would never happen. I was sick of being in that place and done with feeling tired, depressed, and fad diets.

In March of 2011 I started to teach myself truly how to eat. Along this journey I went back to basics and gave up all those quote quote methods of how to loose weight. I gave up counting calories, diet foods, and everything I had been taught in the past. To get where I am I ate a lot of veggies, whole grains, complex carbs, and lean protein. I did not restrict how much I was eating and I didn't do any crazy calorie counting....I mainly learned to listen to my body. Today I use MFP to make sure I am getting enough food instead of depriving my body of what it needs.

This has been an incredibly beautiful journey and some days I don't even recognize myself. In the process I have discovered a passion for using as medicine as a way to heal the body instead of harming it. I have also made it my life long mission to be an encouragement to others along the way. I know that taking back your health can be a very difficult journey and I am thankful for those who kept me going along the way and I just want to be able to do the same. If you are looking for help or just need someone to talk to it would truly bless my heart to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

3054558_svrKrF.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg]

_DSC9975.jpg

Replies

• migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Your picture didn't post, but from looking at your profile pictures I'm thinking the post title is a good thing. It looks like you've rocked this journey and are looking pretty spiffy in that far right picture.

Congratulations...you're doing great. Are you at/near your goal? Your path was what? Eating less, moving more, or both..

Anyway...you're looking great.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! You look fantastic! Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow! Please tell us more about your journey :)
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    Congratulations. You look absolutely fabulous!! Really a different person, and young enough to really reap the benefit of looking great and feeling so positive. I wish lots of happiness in your future.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    From the before pic to the current you almost look like a completely different person. The set of your eyes, shape of your nose...little things like that make you recognizable, but everything else is totally different. Love the way your smile just jumps out of your picture now! You've uncovered the beautiful woman you are. Congratulations on your journey of self discovery! :flowerforyou:
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This is a beautiful post :heart: and you look wonderful. Thank you for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!