Shin Splints

Options
I started running 2 miles every morning two weeks ago. I am struggling with shin splints. It's not enough to keep me from running just mild pain. I was wondering if anyone had any methods for easing the pain other than ibuprofen. I've had an ulcer and can't take it regularly.

Replies

• cowsaysmoo
    cowsaysmoo Posts: 15
    Options
    I've always had problems with shin splints. I recently looked it up on WebMD to find relief, but there isn't much you can do. They suggest taking a couple of weeks off to let the muscles heal and not running on hard surfaces. I don't want to take a couple of weeks off, I know I will never get back into the habit of running if I do that. And unless you are fortunate enough to live near the beach, where are you supposed to run that's not a hard surface? Maybe if you see your actual Dr., he can suggest something. Good luck.
  • apeder
    apeder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Experts agree that when shin splints strike you should stop running completely or decrease your training depending on the extent and duration of pain. Then, as a first step, ice your shin to reduce inflammation. Here are some other treatments you can try:

Gently stretch your Achilles if you have medial shin splints, and your calves if you have anterior shin splints. Also, try this stretch for your shins: Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day. If you continue running, wrap your leg before you go out. Use either tape or an Ace bandage, starting just above the ankle and continuing to just below the knee. Keep wrapping your leg until the pain goes away, which usually takes three to six weeks. "What you're doing is binding the tendons up against the shaft of the shin to prevent stress," Laps says.

Consider cross-training for a while to let your shin heal. Swim, run in the pool or ride a bike.

When you return to running, increase your mileage slowly, no more than 10 percent weekly.

copied from Runners World
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    As my own worst enemy and a new runner, I have learned the hard way...shinsplints = too much, too soon. Ice helps, not as much as the Advil which you can't take. Rest is the best and only true cure. Try backing down to every other day for a week or two and see if that helps. They will get progressively worse if you keep running through them. Last winter mine were so bad that I was convinced I had stress fractures...hurt all the time, even waking me up at night. I had to completely stop running for months. I re-started in April with new, professionally fitted/recommended for my stride ~ shoes....fewer days per week and it has been a totally different experience. I did get a bad flare last week, but I think it was due to P90X Plyometrics , not running. I am very slowly learning to listen to my body and it is helping.
    Good luck! And btw ~ there is a great runner's thread where I have learned pretty everything I just shared! :smile: :smile: MFP Runner's Club in the fitness board

Becky
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Even the Navy SEALs reduce how much they run in their third week of training to reduce the chance of stress fractures.

Ease up... walk instead of run; or run less - less distance or every other day or something. Let your body heal.
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    My husband had this problem and got fitted for different running shoes. Problem now gone...he uses Brooks running shoes.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Unfortunately there are too many things that can cause shin splints for any of us to give you a direct answer. I too would suggest checking the runner's forum and this website (http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php). If your situation persists or gets worse see your doctor

Not a fun thing to have right at the start of your program but you'll recover and start correctly when you heal.

Good Luck!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Listen to everyone! I am suffering right now because I thought I could "tough" it out. I just went to see a sports medicine doctor on Friday and found out I have a severe case of tendonitis in my shin. The pain was so bad I too thought I had a stress fracture. Everything I do aggrevates it. Now I have to do some physical therapy for a month and then start all over again. That 1/2 marathon training will have to wait a few more months. I haven't run in almost 2 months and have to take another month and a half off. :grumble:
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks. I was afraid rest was the only answer. I really enjoy starting the day off with a run. I’ll have to at least walk. If I get out of the habit of waking up and exercising It will be hard to get back into it. That first week was such a struggle!