fresh flavours?

Options
Simplicity
Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
I'm off to the supermarket tommorrow (not for the first time)
basically I'm not a huge chef or anything ut i like exprerimenting with things. i keep reading people reciepes that have things like a dash of lemon or a hint of ?? you know little splashes of sauces and things like that.
im just gonna get a trolley and pile in some things i just wondered what people generally pick up. im not a mum or dad and i don;t have children i only cook for myself and live away from home so no handy helpers from mum anymore. i got past the beans on toast approach, im looking for make a vegetable curry tommorrow. so any input welcome.
my staples i always buy are root ginger, chili's, garlic salt n pepper and i have most curry flavourings (cardemon pods, corriander (dry), garam masala etc) so what else do you keep at home that adds a nice little bit of flavour to things.
the only meat i eat is chicken unless of course macdonalds ever warps my mind with its surreptitious advertising (rarely)
the only things i don;t really like are marrow and mushrooms and courgettes/zuchinni? im not american i know we have different words for some foods.
i like hot spicey mexican indian chinese thai all flavours good.
oh and i have no known allergies except sea food makes me feel ill just coz im fussy.
what vegetables do you put in a veggy curry. i bet some will go hideously soggy lol
thanks in advance
my mouth is watering from talking about too many flavours lol

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Okay...I'm sure you know of Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson, some of their recipies are wonderful. Check out their sites for delish recipes. :bigsmile:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I am currently obsessed with a ginger/garlic/soy sauce marinade that I use on chicken and shrimp. I usually throw in some snow peas and red or yellow peppers and serve with brown rice (you can even add some chilies to spice it up a bit…). It is soooooo yummy. I also love lemon/garlic as a combo as well as cumin/chili powder/garlic/onion for a Mexican feel…:happy: I usually just grill a piece of dry spiced or marinated chicken then serve with different veggies to make different meals....
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I go nuts and fill my cart with colour. Carrots, peppers, tomatoes, radishes, beans, cauliflower, broccoli...the list goes on and on. Take your time looking at the vegetables and pick out what appeals.
  • ninaellis
    ninaellis Posts: 60
    Options
    I love to keep a jar of Thai Green curry paste in the cupboard.

I know you don't like sea food, but I do this with Cod or any other white fish but you could easily swap that for a chicken breast.
    I mix 1 tbl sp dried dessicated coconut with 1/2 a cup of milk (about 4 fl oz) & 1 tblsp of Thai green curry paste & cover the fish (or chicken!)
    Pop in the oven for about 20/25 mins

Cook some white rice, frozen peas & fine green beans.
    Once all cooked layer in a deep-ish bowl
    Rice, then veg then fish/chicken pour over the remaining juices (or someof them)

And enjoy!! Very simple & nice & quick it's about 550/580 cals when I make it but very filling & healthy too!

I buy packs of chicken breast & split them & freeze individually. Also buy single portions of fish & do the same, as I have children but cook seperately for myself.

As for the veggie curry, new potatoes, butternut squash, carrotts. You can always add softer veg half way through cooking to prevent sogginess!! Aubergine, courgette etc Frozen peas or corn can be added last minute

I'm hungry now!!! LOL x:drinker: