Ways to get my B/F healthier

Options
I have pretty good will power. When i want to lose weight, I exercise hard and I eat well..... Me and my partner have a holiday booked in August so i want to look my best, as any other female would.
The only thing is, my partner is over weight, he weighs around 280lb so is definately not healthy BUT he has zero will power.
He loves food too much, when we are together we eat well but at work or whenever he has dinner without me it is quick, fast food type stuff which just isnt doing him any favours!
He is also a member of the gym that i go too. he hasnt been for over a month... not down to being busy but down to him being quite lazy... He has a very demanding job (working for the ambulance service) so I understand that he cannot work out as much as me.

The reason I'm ranting on here for is because i need a non insulting way of telling him to become healthier/hit the gym and eat well... I love him the way he is but i know that he is not 100% happy in his body and its not healthy....

Any ideas? I've already tried the pretty straight forward "shall we go to the gym?" technique but he always has an excuse.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Fact is, you can't.

It has to come from him.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do I think is to lead by example. Demonstrate how dedicated you are and eating healthy, or bring up how much weight you've lost, etc. Eventually one day he may be inclined to follow along with you. This is something you can't force someone to do. They have to actually want to do it in order for them to succeed.
  • hxcburrito
    Options
    keep telling him about your trackings and your work outs, and watching what you eat. it will sink in one day.... thats how i got into all this. now, i check calories on food more then she does.

i also learned that in order to keep some bad things, you have to sacrafice bad things. to keep drinking beer, i stopped pop and pizza. (jets pizza is around the corner from my work <3)
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It does have to come from him, but maybe there are some things you can do to help him. For example, my husband said that he spends so much time commuting that he doesn't have time to exercise. Since I don't commute on as many days, I said that I would cook all suppers if he exercised at least three times a week. He agreed, and now he's exercising five days a week. Can you maybe pack some lunches or healthy snacks? Maybe tell him you would really like the company at the gym? Mention all the things you can do on vacation if you both lose weight?
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here, thank you!!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My general excitement about getting back on track with my health is motivating my Husband to follow suit :) Enthusiasm is contagious, so keep up the good work and keep emphasizing the positives!
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting this, my wife really doesn't need to lose any weight (10lbs max), and she is very anti-diet... She says eat what you want, when you want... Guess that's how I got 30lbs overweight :)

Anyhoo, started this 5 days ago, and at first she rolled her eyes, but now she's commenting on "We had a healthy day today!" and things like that...

I say keep good food in the house, prepare lunches the night before, and it can come slowly :)