5' and under: What is your cal goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1232 according to MFP

TDEE: 2117 according to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Couldn't find a TDEE calculator on MFP

If that is your tdee, then you should be eating 1700 calories total. The next question is what are you doing for exercise? Also dont worry about net calories so much. I know many people push that agenda but i have seen studies that suggest weight training can prevent a reduction in muscle loss.

Where did you get 1700 from? Also, TDEE is supposed to factor in exercise, right? I set it to moderate activity because I factored in my workouts, but if I were to set it based on regular daily activity, it'd probably be light or even sedentary.

And I'm doing mostly elliptical, treadmill, walking, some jogging, boot camp classes (3x/week), core/sculpt class, dance, and I just started Insanity. Not all on the same day though :) I also do weight training sporadically but most of my strength training comes from the classes. We work mostly with our body weight and dumbells.

I got 1700 but cutting 20% from your tdee and i always include exercise as part of your tdee. Depending on how long you exercise it could be higher. Insanity alone will put you around 1800 calories if you follow the beachbody guidelines. The closer to your goal, the closer to your tdee you will need to eat as your body doesnt want to shed fat. So in order to cut fat, you eat more. And it truly doesnt matter how short you are, its all based on exercise, lifestyle and bmr.

But BMR is based on height. A taller person is going to generally have a higher BMR than a shorter person.

The TDEE is the more important number.

A short person who exercises frequently will have a higher TDEE than a taller sedentary person.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

But BMR is based on height. A taller person is going to generally have a higher BMR than a shorter person.

Height and Weight.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What if I figured out TDEE without factoring in exercise? Or would that be essentially just BMR?
    I just have a really hard time with plans that already have exercise factored in. I just don't get as motivated to actually do it if my calories burned are already factored into the calories I can eat even before I've actually burned them. Plus, my burns aren't super consistent week to week. I work out an average of 1 hour per day 6 days per week but the actual amount I burn varies too much.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    4'11", calorie goal is 1660 net. I am trying to maintain, but if I eat anything less than that I lose. Typical consumption is about 2,100.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    4'11" here. Spent the majority of my weight loss eating at 1200 net and plateaued about 5 pounds above my goal weight. I increased my calorie intake by 200 a day and slowly but surely dropped the last five pounds. Now I eat 1865 a day for maintenance, plus exercise calories, and easily maintain 110 pounds. That said, I lift heavy weights and am working to build muscle mass, so my 1865 a day is based on a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat ratio. Don't be afraid to eat more, your metabolism will adjust and you'll be able to eat more without gaining. Please don't think that being short means having to starve yourself.
  • femmi1120
    Options
    1865 PLUS exercise cals? :noway:

I'm almost tempted to just keep upping up cals until I either gain or lose. It makes no sense to me that I'm stuck at one weight whether I'm netting 1000, 1500, or not counting or exercising at all -__-
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    But she is trying to build muscle and is lifting heavy weights. That means she needs to eat more to accomplish her goal.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need to eat more to build muscle, but that's been a recent shift in goals for me. Prior to that, I was maintaining anywhere from 1400 to 1500 and I never netted less than 1200 to lose.
  • femmi1120
    Options
    Which brings me to my NEXT question. Sorry I have a lot!

In terms of calorie burn and metabolism and such, what is the difference between heavy weight training and regular strength training (like pushups, squats, etc)? Don't both build muscle? And what about just toning with light weights?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    No good answers from me on those, sorry :( I just keep using heavier dumbbells as the other ones get too light. I have found that when I do pushups (which is not often), they are way easier and I can do many more than previously. I defer to the people who have a lot more knowledge, but for me, while I want to get stronger, I also want to lose weight, so I am still eating at a calorie deficit. I *know* I am getting stronger because I can pick up heavier weights. My biceps are starting to show this way with the weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

TDEE: 2117 according to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If that is your tdee, then you should be eating 1700 calories total. The next question is what are you doing for exercise? Also dont worry about net calories so much. I know many people push that agenda but i have seen studies that suggest weight training can prevent a reduction in muscle loss.

Where did you get 1700 from? Also, TDEE is supposed to factor in exercise, right? I set it to moderate activity because I factored in my workouts, but if I were to set it based on regular daily activity, it'd probably be light or even sedentary.

And I'm doing mostly elliptical, treadmill, walking, some jogging, boot camp classes (3x/week), core/sculpt class, dance, and I just started Insanity. Not all on the same day though :) I also do weight training sporadically but most of my strength training comes from the classes. We work mostly with our body weight and dumbells.

I got 1700 but cutting 20% from your tdee and i always include exercise as part of your tdee. Depending on how long you exercise it could be higher. Insanity alone will put you around 1800 calories if you follow the beachbody guidelines. The closer to your goal, the closer to your tdee you will need to eat as your body doesnt want to shed fat. So in order to cut fat, you eat more. And it truly doesnt matter how short you are, its all based on exercise, lifestyle and bmr.

BMR is NOT based on height, it's truly based on body composition (aka body fat and weight). A person 5" shorter than me can have the same BMR as me if they have more muscle. Things like height, weight and age are another way to estimate based on the harris benedict formula. In this case, they use law of averages. Once you have the ability to understand your body composition, you an improve the accuracy of the calculations.
  • Pippalea74
    Pippalea74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but take classes at least 3x per week and am incorporating running to my non gym days. I eat 1240
    Cals per day but some days it is difficult to eat this much. I'm eating veggies for the first time in my life but now realize
    They fill me up. I'm focusing on low sodium and at least 100 g protein per day.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Which brings me to my NEXT question. Sorry I have a lot!

In terms of calorie burn and metabolism and such, what is the difference between heavy weight training and regular strength training (like pushups, squats, etc)? Don't both build muscle? And what about just toning with light weights?

It's all synonymous. Heavy weight training is the key to burning fat as well as building muscle but it can't be done concurrently. There are cutting and bulking stages. If you want to cut fat or toning, you have a small deficit to allow your body to decrease the amount of fat stores you have. When you want to gain muscle or bulk, then you need a surplus of calories to allow your muscles to grow. Also, you don't tone with light weights. Light weights is only for muscle endurance. It's one of those old myths that don't seem to go away. Also, it is much easier to cut fat when you do a lot of heavy lifting and in fact, you do not need cardio to do this. Cardio is good for heart healthy but heavy lifting is good for cutting fat.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'-0" and am set at 1370 a day.

Sometimes I can't eat that much, sometimes I go a little over. When I work out, I ALWAYS eat back enough to get a net of 1200.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Height and Weight.

Yes I know. I was just pointing out that height is a factor.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

BMR is NOT based on height, it's truly based on body composition (aka body fat and weight). A person 5" shorter than me can have the same BMR as me if they have more muscle. Things like height, weight and age are another way to estimate based on the harris benedict formula. In this case, they use law of averages. Once you have the ability to understand your body composition, you an improve the accuracy of the calculations.

I think everyone is misinterpreting what I meant. The size of your body, your height, bone mass, muscle mass, fat mass, hormones and genetics all contribute to what constitutes your BMR. Generally speaking a short, muscular person could have a higher BMR than a taller, thinner person with more body fat. A woman that is 5'7 on average is going to have a higher BMR than a woman that is 4'11 because she has a larger body mass and more energy requirements.

I know that there are many factors that contribute to BMR, I was just pointing out that height is one of them.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later after work
  • psuLemon
    Options

I think everyone is misinterpreting what I meant. The size of your body, your height, bone mass, muscle mass, fat mass, hormones and genetics all contribute to what constitutes your BMR. Generally speaking a short, muscular person could have a higher BMR than a taller, thinner person with more body fat. A woman that is 5'7 on average is going to have a higher BMR than a woman that is 4'11 because she has a larger body mass and more energy requirements.

I know that there are many factors that contribute to BMR, I was just pointing out that height is one of them.

Fair enough
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    this is interesting....
    i'm 5ft and currently netting 1200, though im thinking of upping as since doing 30ds it doesnt seem enough ...