i was wondering??

sean93
sean93 Posts: 109
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
when is better to exercise, like before or after eating. because i normally do mine either after breakfast or after lunch does it really matter??

anddddd also if i exercise after lunch but before dinner and then spend the rest of the day doing nothing after dinner is this bad or is it ok as iv done my recommended time of exercise for the day and burnt the recommended amount of calories??

thanks

116587.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    doesn't matter. and it is cumulative. so if you're really busy, and you do 20 minutes, then later you do 15 more, and later you do 25 more, then you did an hour total.
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    I've heard it's best to do cardio in the mornings as it gets your metabolism moving. I've also heard it's best to do it around 5:00 as your body temp is highest then. I really don't think it matters as long as you do it! I run 2 miles first thing in the morning...straight out of bed, before breakfast. Then do weights in the evening after dinner.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    Yeah, I just read an article that said, do it when you can really devote yourself to it and really take yourself to the limit.... That is different times for different people....
    There is the idea that if you do it when you first get up while your body is still in the "fast mode" (as in fasting, not speed :smile: ) you will burn more of the fat reserves.... BUT this article said that if you can't really push yourself in the mornings, then do it when you can really focus...
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Hey, pat yourself on the back....you are at least exercising!!!

:flowerforyou:

I exercise when I have time....sometimes it's in the early morning before breakfast, sometimes it's in the evening before dinner. I wait a little while before I workout if I've just eaten...sometimes if I'm famished before a run, I'll eat a banana for energy.

Either way, as long as you get your exercise in for the day, the differences in the time of day that you do it is consequential.

Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Myself, I can't eat before exercising. I just get heartburn. So I exercise first thing in the am (6:30) to get an energy boost (I don't dink coffee or tea - surprise as most parents do :wink: ) for the day. I find I start to crash :yawn: from the energy boost late in the afternoon (4-6). If I exercise in the evening I can't go to sleep for several hours unless I've pushed myself to the point of TOTAL exhaustion.
  • eednic
    eednic Posts: 3
    i agree with what others are saying: do what works best for you. for my schedule, it really needs to be first thing in the morning. plus my dog needs her exercise too (she has arthritis) and she seems to be more rested and flexible in the mornings too. she always comes along with me, so it all works out!
This discussion has been closed.