Is whey protein really superior for building muscle?

Options
I keep reading it is, (not here on the forums, in books and magazines) however it tends to make me gassy :blushing:
So I've been using egg protein for the most part.
But if whey is actually superior I think I'll deal with a little bit of gas and take a phazyme or something lol. It's not painful and goes away after awhile.
Just want to get someone's take on this who has experience or education in this dept. To me, a protein is a protein is a protein, but then again this whole trying to build muscle thing is new territory for me.

Thanks

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Nope doesn't make a difference! :]

Whey is just generally cheaper, comes in more flavors etc
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Powders are not even needed if you get enough through whole foods. They are only needed to supplement your protein if you don't get enough. I try to get all mine in whole foods but sometimes I do drink whey.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Powders are not even needed if you get enough through whole foods. They are only needed to supplement your protein if you don't get enough. I try to get all mine in whole foods but sometimes I do drink whey.

Oh I agree :) I eat a ton of real food lol. The protein powder is quick and easy after a workout and a little less expensive for me. I eat quite a few eggs and plenty of meat, but man the cost of meat is getting quite high and I can only handle so many eggs lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I keep reading it is, (not here on the forums, in books and magazines) however it tends to make me gassy :blushing:
    But if whey is actually superior I think I'll deal with a little bit of gas and take a phazyme or something lol. It's not painful and goes away after awhile.
    Just want to get someone's take on this who has experience or education in this dept. To me, a protein is a protein is a protein, but then again this whole trying to build muscle thing is new territory for me.

Thanks

If you're lactose intolerant, get a whey isolate, it doesn't have lactose unlike whey concentrate.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Any complete protein will work
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

Thanks

If you're lactose intolerant, get a whey isolate, it doesn't have lactose unlike whey concentrate.

Good to know! Thanks! I was wondering what the difference was
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Oh I agree :) I eat a ton of real food lol. The protein powder is quick and easy after a workout and a little less expensive for me. I eat quite a few eggs and plenty of meat, but man the cost of meat is getting quite high and I can only handle so many eggs lol

I agree, meat is getting more and more expensive. I just prefer whole food, but like I say I do drink whey when I don't get enough. Either on will work as long as you meet your daily protein goals.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with whey making me, uh..'gastronomically uncomfortable' lol

Since I'm on a medically supervised high protein diet, though, and I can't eat meat, I need to take some type of protein supplement. My nutritionist insists whey is best.

I will say that not all whey powders have the 'icky' effect, so maybe try around til you find one that agrees with you..I finally did :)
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest....I try to get protein at every meal and snack and will use the powder for my oatmeal if I don't eat eggs for breakfast and I will eat a protein bar in the afternoon for a snack.....other wise, I do eat a lot of chicken for lunch and dinner.....or Boca burgers......
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    I've had issues with whey making me, uh..'gastronomically uncomfortable' lol

Since I'm on a medically supervised high protein diet, though, and I can't eat meat, I need to take some type of protein supplement. My nutritionist insists whey is best.

I will say that not all whey powders have the 'icky' effect, so maybe try around til you find one that agrees with you..I finally did :)

lol, glad its not just me! I've heard that its beneficial to mix up your sources of protein, but I don't know if there's any truth to that. If you are allowed to have it, you should try the GNC egg protein, it's delicious! If nothing else maybe for variety :) What brand do you use that doesn't make you uncomfortable?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    eggs are cheap.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Sunwarrior brand is a great tasting raw, brown rice protien; I find it easy on my system when I do supplement. Typically I use it when trying to do a shredder for a week or two and need to up my protien. I eat a LOT of veg, so my carb makup is about 70-80% of mydiet. Not 100% vegan, but getting close so I like the option of the rice protien.

but I agree with the others...if you are eating a diversified dietn with the right foods, you are getting enough protien.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Wholesale clubs like costco can allow you to buy some high protein "real food" items that cost about the same or less than many whey powders and approximately the same amount of protien per calorie. Check out their greek yogurt, chicken breast, and egg beaters type products. I use them almost daily and as a result have dramatically reduced my intake of whey powders.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    eggs are cheap.

Yeah I know. And I eat a ton of them. Had 5 for breakfast as a matter of fact. I can only do so many eggs.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's not "better" but for most it's just more convenient, especially post workout. I like the About Time brand, doesn't leave me with a weird after taste.