weights

Options
borjanap
borjanap Posts: 232 Member
I need a workout regiment. I do cardio all the time. I started lifting weights again. I was doing circuit training. I was told that I should work out arms, legs, back, abs or whatever group once a week. Is that true? Can someone who knows what they are doing help me figure out how to isolate muscles and work out those certain areas and if working those muscles once a week is a good idea?
thanks

Replies

• dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    You can do that as a minimum. Your muscles need about 48 hours to recover. THerefore you can work them out up to 3 times per week. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn without working out. Don't worry about building muscles - YOU CANNOT GET HUGE. Women cannot put on muscle like men. Physically impossible.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you don't belong to a gym, then you might invest in a book on weights, or on working out. They have some good ones at the local store, I'm sure.

It's not really a matter of isolating muscle groups, though, when you're doing it to burn cals and build muscles. It's more a matter of making sure you do your upper body as well as your lower, in addition to the cardio.

I take ballet classes several times a week, which builds mostly the lower body. I weight lift, usually, twice a week (or try to!), and do cardio at least 5 times a week, if not 6 (depends on time available).

The weeks where I do my slot of weights, I tend to show a greater loss on the scale.