How is this for a workout schedule?

Options
I'd like to make it a good habit to do my work outs, so I want to do it a lot. Of course I want to do this with the opportunity of getting the best results I can, so I'm just wondering if this looks ok, or if I should make some changes, do more/less of something and so on?
My intentions are losing fat, and keeping/building muscles. And get in better shape, of course. I'm thinking:

Monday: Elliptical trainer/Stationary bike 30-40 minutes, strength training for legs and stomach
Tuesday: Same as above, just arms and back instead of legs and stomach
Wednesday: Rest / spin class (they have it every other week)
Thursday: Elliptical trainer 60 - 80 minutes
Friday: Elliptical trainer/Stationary bike 30-40 minutes, strength training all muscle groups
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 1 hour walk outside

I'm really not good at these stuff, so I'd appreciate any advice on this!:smile:

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Monday: Elliptical trainer/Stationary bike 30-40 minutes, strength training for legs and stomach
    Tuesday: Same as above, just arms and back instead of legs and stomach
    Wednesday: Rest / spin class (they have it every other week)
    Thursday: Elliptical trainer 60 - 80 minutes
    Friday: Elliptical trainer/Stationary bike 30-40 minutes, strength training all muscle groups
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 1 hour walk outside

I am no expert but it looks pretty good to me. I like the rest periods.
    I would personally prefer splitting the Friday strength training a bit... I try to do Upper body one day, core one day, lower body one day... rest... then repeat...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'd do this:

Mon: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Lower Body and Core
    Tues: Cardio: 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Upper Body
    Wed: Rest
    Thur: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Lower Body and Core
    Fri: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Upper Body
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Cardio 30 mins fasted, No strength training today

Rinse/Repeat.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That looks like a good schedule to me! If I were you I would do your cardio (elliptical/bike) immediately after your strength training on the days that you're doing both, because the strength training gets your metabolism revved up, which will help you burn even more fat during your cardio workouts.
    I would also try to incorporate circuit training into your routine (you should look it up if you're unfamiliar with it. Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels DVD's are some of the best circuit training out there, and you only need a couple dumbbells for them).
    One more suggestion: try to do "interval training" on one of your cardio days (alternate between high intensity and low intensity for a couple minutes at a time, for about a 50 to 60 minute session).

i hope that helps! good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'd do this:

Mon: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Lower Body and Core
    Tues: Cardio: 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Upper Body
    Wed: Rest
    Thur: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Lower Body and Core
    Fri: Cardio 30 mins fasted, Strength Train Upper Body
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Cardio 30 mins fasted, No strength training today

Rinse/Repeat.

This is very similar to my schedule except I do 3 days HIIT Eliptical training for 30 mins after lifting then 3 days of marathon training with 1 of those days doing my upper body circuit. I only take 1 day off a week but it works for me.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There is more of a benefit to do fasted cardio. It's fine if you do it post-training, but on an empty stomach.
  • leopard1989
    Options
    :Thanks guys! I'll definately take a look at it, and figure out what works the best for me! :happy:
    That looks like a good schedule to me! If I were you I would do your cardio (elliptical/bike) immediately after your strength training on the days that you're doing both, because the strength training gets your metabolism revved up, which will help you burn even more fat during your cardio workouts.
    I would also try to incorporate circuit training into your routine (you should look it up if you're unfamiliar with it. Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels DVD's are some of the best circuit training out there, and you only need a couple dumbbells for them).
    One more suggestion: try to do "interval training" on one of your cardio days (alternate between high intensity and low intensity for a couple minutes at a time, for about a 50 to 60 minute session).

i hope that helps! good luck!

I do have the 30DS dvd, but I'm not really a big fan of Jillian...lol... I like Bob, though...So maybe I should find one of his, and treat myself to a new exercise mat so I can actually do it, haha.
    And interval training will be done!
  • PaulEverton
    Options
    My wife and I belong to Planet Fitness and they have a 30 Minute Complete Body Circuit with Cardio Stepper.
    We workout 5 days per week Wednesday-Sunday mornings. This allows us to go when we want on the weekends and not rush.

This what we do.

Mon. and Tues off..
    Wed-30 Min Circuit and 45 min cardio
    Thursday-Outdoor walk-60 min (with Dogs)
    Friday-30 Min Circuit and 45 min cardio
    Saturday- Outdoor walk-60 min (with Dogs)
    Sunday-30 Min Circuit and 45 min cardio

The 30 minute circuit is my opinion so much better because it gets my heart rate up and I do so much more compared to my old work out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    There is more of a benefit to do fasted cardio. It's fine if you do it post-training, but on an empty stomach.

True, wish I could but my hypoglycemia doesn't allow me to workout on an empty stomach. I'd be getting picked up off the floor everyday. :)