SUPPLEMENTS: L-CARNATINE for fat loss??

Options
This is probably more directed to the hardcore fitness people...
With the advice of my brother in-law, i've purchased Carnatine in liquid form to help get me to my weight loss goals
I started with a 21% body fat percent 8 months ago and am now at a 17. My goal for the summer is to be closer to 15
now that exams are over im back on track with my clean eating and continuing my Multivitamins, fish oils, protein and now I have L-Carnatine
I was hoping for any feedback on this product and any information! please let me know if this will be of good use to me! :)

And maybe let me know if there are any other good supplements or advice you would recommend ?

Thanks!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link on hand but studies have shown that it wasn't effective. Sorry.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link on hand but studies have shown that it wasn't effective. Sorry.

I've got you covered ;)

Smith WA, Fry AC, Tschume LC, Bloomer RJ: Effect of glycine propionyl-L-carnitine on aerobic and anaerobic exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2008, 18(1):19-36.
    http://www.jissn.com/pubmed/18272931

Brass EP: Supplemental carnitine and exercise. Am J Clin Nutr 2000, 72(2 Suppl):618S-23S.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&cmd=prlinks&retmode=ref&id=10919968

Villani RG, Gannon J, Self M, Rich PA: L-Carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2000, 10(2):199-207.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&cmd=prlinks&retmode=ref&id=10919968
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    L-carnitine, an amino acid involved in fat metabolism that has been sold as a fat loss aid for years (it doesn’t work by the way). - Lyle McDonald
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Works great for me..I have had positive results from taking it..especially with being at goal...
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Works great for me..I have had positive results from taking it..especially with being at goal...

Hey Now! It's works for me too. I kid you not, once I started using it, the results I swear by it. Of course I still eat and exercise hardcore but this really helped give my belly a boost in fat loss.

Sorry, for some reason the other photo won't go smaller!

fitnpretty.jpg

41c68814.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    whitebreadloaf.jpg
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Am I reading your post correctly, are you claiming that it helps you maintain your goal weight?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Hey Now! It's works for me too. I kid you not, once I started using it, the results I swear by it. Of course I still eat and exercise hardcore but this really helped give my belly a boost in fat loss.

Sorry, for some reason the other photo won't go smaller!

fitnpretty.jpg

41c68814.jpg

Mountain dew gives me a killer boost in the gym, it helps me shred fat when I'm on a cut.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's nearly impossible for one person to say whether any supplement really worked for them or not because no one knows how much fat they would have lost for sure if they weren't on it. Scientists wouldn't even know. That's why they make a control group and an experiment group with a bunch of people so they can compare trends. Experiments also use blind and double-blind procedures so that people don't know what's supposed to happen to them when they take a pill. Why? Our minds are amazing things. If they knew they were taking a "fat-loss supplement" it influences the results they get from it because they expected to and so the placebo effect may have also cause them to exercise more and eat less subconsciously.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It's nearly for one person to say whether any supplement really worked for them or not because no one knows how much fat they would have lost for sure if they weren't on it. Scientists wouldn't even know. That's why they make a control group and an experiment group with a bunch of people so they can compare trends. Experiments also use blind and double-blind procedures so that people don't know what's supposed to happen to them when they take a pill. Why? Our minds are amazing things. If they knew they were taking a "fat-loss supplement" it influences the results they get from it because they expected to and so the placebo effect may have also cause them to exercise more and eat less subconsciously.

Makes sense! Maybe it's been my mind all along to get me the results that I received me so I'll keep taking it and believing it works till my abs are completely visible!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

On an unrelated note, how is taking a ton of heavily processed supplements, "eating clean?"
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump