This is me, saying hi

Options
Well, I'm 23 years old, overweight, and have, in the last couple of months, developed high blood pressure. The weird things is, I've lost about 30 pounds so far, but before I lost the weight, I had normal blood pressure. Go figure. I did the slim fast thing for awhile along with a ton of exercise, then I decided I wanted to lose weight faster and switched to atkins. That was last summer. I got down to 160 lbs (I'm 5'10'') and was feeling good, so what did I do? I cheated. Thats what I did. And I proceeded to get myself back up to 185. And in the last 4 months, I've been on atkins, off atkins, back and forth, cuz I can't seem to stick with it this time. And in the midst of that, my bp has skyrocketed. So my doctor said "NO MORE ATKINS!" And put me on something called the "DASH" diet, from the mayo clinic, which stands for "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension" , which I started today. Very little meat involved, actually no more than 6 ozs per day. Also, as a side benefit, the book says that even though people do the diet to get their bp under control, they end up losing 10-35 pounds in a couple of months. Talk about a side benefit. I hope this works. I don't want to have a stroke, or a heart attack......and losing weight and learning the correct way to eat to keep it off, that would be awesome!!!
Wish me luck!!!:drinker:

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here's to lower BP and to a newer HEALTHIER you :drinker:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome to MFP, Its totally awesome here HANDS DOWN no questions ask:wink: