Non-Fishy Fish on the Cheap

Options
I am looking at the wild-caught fish from Walmart, frozen :/

I am super picky and my experience with fish to date is fish sticks and Long John Silvers.

What would the best non-fishy tasting fish, and easiest to fix?

I am looking at maybe lightly breading, and baking it.
So far, the flounder and cod seem okay... I have heard that tilapia (sp?) is supposed to be good.

Thanks.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I tried Swai for the first time tonight. Got a huge freezer pack from target.
    100 calories / 21g protein (amazing.)

Got it out and chopped it up for tacos.. noticed there was literally ZERO fish smell.
    Made it into some tacos... Wouldn't know I was eating fish if I didn't make them myself.

I'm a huge fan of it now!!

Tilapia isn't very fish, but it is more fishy than Swai.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I love Tilapia. Its more the mild fish (I don't like the fishy fish either) and I have been getting the 2.5lb bag at Kroger for $9.99. Im not sure what it is at walmart though.I usually just bake it with a little lemon pepper or panko breadcrumbs.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    They sell the bags of frozen tilapia at Wal-mart for pretty cheap. Definitely not "fishy" fish!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is mild and great. I would try to avoid getting them already seasoned as then it is loaded with high amount of sodium. Keep the seasoning very simple. I generally put the fish in foil, season with some pepper, garlic and lemon juice and bake in the oven till the fish flakes off....it comes off very fresh and delish.

Here is a very simple recipe and it comes out delish:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/baked-garlic-lemon-tilapia-5-pts.html
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Tilapia's probably your best bet. I buy the filets from there all the time and just barely season them when I cook them and it's never a strong fish taste. You can always put a few drops of lemon juice on the filets when you cook them just to tone down the few that can be a little stronger (but not super strong like other fish) than the others. Also feel the filets for bones after you've thawed them. I had a bag that almost every filet had at least 2 bones per filet in it.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells Tilapia in 3 lb bags. It is a blank slate. It will take the taste of whatever you season it with. Great for fish beginners.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    I get Targets Market Pantry Wild Caught Flounder filets and they are really good. I only know how to bake them. I put in a tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan tonight and it was REALLY good. I just sprinkle some seasoning on top, tonight it was Garlic Pepper with a twist of Lime. Super easy, and very delicious! My kids ate a bunch of it as well!
    I love Tilapia as well, but wanted a change. I do not like fishy fish either! The flounder is a very mild white fish.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

I never thought about the bones lol