weekends

Options
I do really good working out and eating wise during the week, but once the weekend hits it's like I totally forget to eat healthy and forget about working out.

Advice on how to stay focused on the weekends?!?!?!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Set up your weight tracking day for Monday morning
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems with my days off. Work gives me a routine but as soon as I have a day off I either start eating out, cooking, or grazing. (cooking doesn't sound like a problem till you realize it puts me in the kitchen with a whole lot of food and time to kill while things actually cook.) I don't like tracking on my days off because of the eating out thing makes it more difficult, but I know I should try.

I agree with the weigh in on monday thing. that might help. I've been trying to convince myself to go to the gym on my days off, but usually I just want to get chores done, cook for the upcoming days, and sleep (and sleep some more).

Sorry I can't be of more help - but you aren't alone! :-)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but maybe try to impose some of the structure on your weekends that you normally have during the work-week.

Perhaps plan your menus in advance. Consider cook something Thursday or Friday that you would expect to eat on the weekend. If you are going out to eat, work out where in advance and look at the menu on-line so you can have the best choices in mind in advance.

Maybe schedule some time for working out - perhaps first thing in the morning. Make your haircut appointment at 11:00 instead of 10:00 so you can workout first, as an example.

Also, where possible consider some walking. Plan to arrive 30 minutes early and park a mile away from wherever you are going. If it's grocery shopping, get a trolly or jeep you can roll your groceries back to your car. That way you build some additional workout into your days as opposed to needing to book time for the gym.

I'm just brainstorming here actually because i'm not very good at it either. I can tell you that this past weekend i had a spa appointment on Sunday and i decided to take the bus both there and back (i live in a city). That forced me to walk to the bus stop, then around trying to find the spa, then trying to find my way back home from an unfamiliar bus stop. I ended up hitting my step goal for the day (quite rare for me) just because i didn't take a taxi. I saved at least $20 as well!
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm totally struggling with this as well. I have two things that get in the way of my healthy lifestyle:

1. ME: I get into this "I've been good all week, I just want to eat a meal and have a drink and not count calories" mood on Friday nights.
    2. DATING: I have a fantastic boyfriend. But, he doesn't cook, feels guilty if I cook, and we end up eating out all the time.

Solutions I'm trying:

1. Loosen up things on the week-days so that I don't feel so restricted. Perhaps, then, I won't fall into this trap. I'm also thinking I just HAVE to have a good, healthy plan for Friday night. This might be the most important meal to plan throughout the week. Maybe make it something that's a bit of a splurge but nothing near as bad for me as pub food.

2. I am counting every damn calorie in front of him. He knows what I'm doing and why and he's really supportive. But, when we're out, he doesn't connect the eating out with MFP. So, I let him see me look up the calories beforehand, order a burger with half a bun, all sauces on the side, and plain steamed veggies. I'm thinking that in time, he'll understand that it really, truly, would be a better meal for me if he'd just let me cook something we both enjoy and stop insisting on eating out.

Good luck! Thanks for this post; I'm looking forward to seeing others responses.
  • lelea00
    lelea00 Posts: 11
    Options
    I need help with this as well. I tend to eat fast food on the weekends because I'm on the go
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you find many that have had or have this issue, I know I have. Some of it is mental, getting your mind set on it and some is just schedule. I agree with MarincicS, try to keep yourself on a schedule on the weekends, as much as possible. I find I even try to get myself up around the same time (give myself an extra hour of sleep) and I workout on Sundays around the same time I would during the week (even though I could go much earlier since I'm not working).

It's also ok to go out, just find healthier alternatives to eat at the restaurant so you don't feel like you are completely depriving yourself. We have a restaurant here that does Bison burgers, that is one of my go-to places when I'm craving a burger. They are awesome and have less fat than chicken, taste about the same as a normal burger. There are some really good alternatives out there. The worst part of eating out for me is the sodium, drink tons of water afterwards. LOL
  • catti41
    catti41 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues with this too, so i am now doing a "picnic basket" and after my morning walk and then shopping, i put together all the things that i would like to eat that day, within my cals, and put them in a container in the fridge so that i know i can have all of that during the day.
    i did this for the first time yesterday and it seemed to work. As i had already noted what i was having for dinner, it meant i could have heaps of different snacks during the day and not feel guilty.
    there was cheese, yoghurt, hommus and crackers, nut bar, choc and fruit.
    it was good to see everything i could have and know that it was all sorted out early in the day, similar to being as orgasnied as i am during the week.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues with this too, so i am now doing a "picnic basket" and after my morning walk and then shopping, i put together all the things that i would like to eat that day, within my cals, and put them in a container in the fridge so that i know i can have all of that during the day.

Ohh, I LOVE this idea. This is exactly why I am so successful when I'm at work - I have all my lunch and snacks sorted and I know what I have to choose from when I'm hungry. I might try this out next weekend. Thank you!
  • chellelynn30
    Options
    I'm loving the picnic basket idea!

Thanks for all the help and support.

We'll see what this coming up weekend brings.

Fingers crossed...

I can do this!!!!