Looking for a snack?

Options
Hoping this thread can get people to post their favorite delicious-but decently healthy snacks.
I personally am NOT a fan of protein bars at all, they taste like sawdust to me. However, I just tried this "Zone Perfect: Chocolate Mint" bar. Was rather tasty and I can stomach it for a snack or two throughout a day, instead of a can of Pringles.

Turns out, they have a while smorgasbord of flavors and what not :)

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Honestly I like Fiber One Bars. I like the chocolate and oats one! It tastes so good and it only has like 140 calories and lots of fiber! I saw them eat it on The Biggest Loser one time! :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You can make your own bars, yogurt and berries, etc!
  • bcirone
    bcirone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently started making Kale Chips - Even my husband will eat it!
    1 head of kale - washed, dried thouroughly, and ripped into chip size pieces (I use a salad spinner).
    Toss in bowl with a drizzle of olive oil (tablespoon?).
    Add a shake of seasoned salt and toss.(or you could use parmesan cheese, or whatever condiment you'd like - soy sauce, chipotle, etc.). Place on cookie sheet without overlapping the leaves.

350 degree oven.. cook for 6-8 minutes (watch it, it can burn fast!) - If they feel crispy they are done.

Let them cool on cookie sheet. They keep crispy in a tupperware bowl, but I find they don't stick around too long.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I agree about protein bars... I hate them if i can taste the protein.. and am very particular because i have sensitive taste buds

if you live near a Trader Joe's they sell ThinkThin bars and they are pretty good protein bars that taste great...also powercrunch bars have some good flavs that dont taste gross

other suggestions:

cucumbers ad tomatoes mixed with apple vinegar..its soo yummy and not a lot of calories

edamame

celery and laughing cow cheese

skinny cow products

there are tons of options! Im a huge snacker and am constantly snacking throughout the day
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like the Biggest Loser Club Snack Bars the chocolate caramel one. And also the Special K Chocolately Bars, caramel flavour. Both yummy and low in cals.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to peel and cut a cucumber into strips and eat it with a little salt. Also we are at the peak of strawberry season here in arkansas, and I have been eating 2 cups of strawberries with a couple packets of splenda sprinkled on the, every night for weeks. I am gonna be so sad when strawberry season is over!
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Its not healthy but I am huge chip fan, so popchips 100 calorie packs! 18 chips of pure joy! lol
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    for a sweet break I've been eating the fiber one chocolate oats or the nature valley honey and oats... low cals and sweet. normally I'd snack on sweet snap peas or bell peppers... the orange, red, or yellow ones are sweet. :)
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ya know I think the biggest trick with snacks is variety. Recently I've baked apples in the oven, and also like to have low cal ice cream in the freezer. I've also at times gotten some of those 100 cal snack bags but then I realized I could probably save money by buying stuff and bagging it up myself and getting stuff that probably tasted better, lol.

But regardless of anything else I get, I always try to have alot of fruit and also the sugar free pudding cups in my fridge. The pudding is great because if you hit a really bad day of cravings and go through a 6 pack, each one is only 60 calories so not like it's tons of damage.

There's also ice cream from Skinny Cow and some other brands I like to keep in the freezer at times that are also like that but I'm not as big on ice cream as I used to be. Weirdly, I have had sugar cravings my entire life but when I got diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance a few years back, they put me on metformin and that mostly went away. Now my weakness is hashbrowns with sausage gravy :X And that's not a snack, lol
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Below are some of the snacks I have, I either have a combination of these or just one of them through a day:

- Greek Yoghurt (non-fat, plain with fresh grapes) (non-fat fruit at the bottom)
    - Fruits: Strawberries (about 8-10), apple (1), banana (2), watermelon
    - Kashi oatmeal dark chocolate soft-baked cookies (about 1 or 2 in a day)
    - Baked sweetpotatoes (1 or 2 without salt)
    - Kelloggs Fiberplus Chocolate bars
    - 2 slices of 15 grain bread with omega 3 creamy peanut butter
    - Wheat thins (not having these days, but used to)
    - About of 10 raw almonds (no salt, not roasted)
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Its not healthy but I am huge chip fan, so popchips 100 calorie packs! 18 chips of pure joy! lol

A girl after my own heart, I love Popchips! One serving really isn't that bad. But I've also been snacking on fruit, veggies or low fat string cheese. My snack(s) depend on what I am eating the rest of the day. Lots of choices to try, variety IS the spice of life :smile: !!
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn, carrots dipped in low fat cream cheese, apple slices dipped in peanut butter, yoghurt with fruit and rice cakes with peanut butter or jam.
    If I go for the dips I simply put one or two tablespoons of dip on a small plate, that way I know exactly how much I'm eating and can't go over the limit.
    I've heard frozen grapes are great too, so I'm planning on trying that this week as well.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 Tbsp each natural peanutbutter and honey. Under 150 cal, sweet & salty, and filling :)
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hoping this thread can get people to post their favorite delicious-but decently healthy snacks.
    I personally am NOT a fan of protein bars at all, they taste like sawdust to me. However, I just tried this "Zone Perfect: Chocolate Mint" bar. Was rather tasty and I can stomach it for a snack or two throughout a day, instead of a can of Pringles.

Try the LUNA brand Chocolate Peppermint Stick bars.
    A-MAZ-ING!
  • Mrfuzbear
    Mrfuzbear Posts: 11
    Options

Try the LUNA brand Chocolate Peppermint Stick bars.
    A-MAZ-ING!
    Ideas on what store? and I will see if the local markets here carry those ^,^
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really like Kellogg cracker chips. 27 flavored ones for 110 calories if memory serves.

Light popcorn

Cereal- Cheerios banana nut or peanut butter are both yummy. I make myself eat one at a time so it takes forever to get through 3/4 cup.
  • Hpmichigan
    Hpmichigan Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm in love with this thread!

Special K Fruit Thins- They are a great alternative to desert or a sweet snack for 100 calories!
    Light Popcorn!
    Baby Carrots
    Steamed Veggies- I will eat them anywhere at anytime!
    Asparagus grilled (or pan fried) with olive oil spray and garlic salt. Or you can put a few shakes of Parmesan on it and it gets really crispy. (canned asparagus is disgusting to me... and mushy)
    A small variety of trail mix- Usually around 200 to 250 calories but I will snack on it all throughout the day at work.
    100 calorie packs of almost anything!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I love PB2 Chocolate smashed with a banana. When I want dessert I chop up an apple sprinkle cinnamon on it and toss in the microwave for 2 minutes.
  • RockKelly
    RockKelly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese eaten with reduced fat triscuts. Yum!