Does anyone else have stubborn bodies? ie slow start?

Options
This always happens to me. Every time I go on a restriction to cut back (started at 176 loose a little take a break then take it up again. Currently at 156) anyways each time I cut back no matter how much my body will not loose weight. Not for the first few weeks to a month. It is really frustrating. Eventually if I stick to it, the lbs start to melt away. But this happens every time, I cant remember for how long though so I am hoping it starts soon it has been about a month for me now. I have tried several things this month from a 500 cal a day deficit to 750, then 1000 and now back to 750 trying to find that sweet spot. Not finding it. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's harder to lose weight the closer you are to a normal weight range for your body.
  • firestrmsp
    Options
    sounds like your keeping your body in starvation mode and that always causes wt gain long term. try eating every 3 hours, protein with raw vegs and complex carbs, no fruit for the first few weeks, lots of water, this jumps your metabolism up and with weight training will cause you to really burn calories and not just loose muscle. just a suggestion, I'm 45 and when I want to lose and keep it off this has worked the best for me
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    sounds like your keeping your body in starvation mode and that always causes wt gain long term. try eating every 3 hours, protein with raw vegs and complex carbs, no fruit for the first few weeks, lots of water, this jumps your metabolism up and with weight training will cause you to really burn calories and not just loose muscle. just a suggestion, I'm 45 and when I want to lose and keep it off this has worked the best for me

I dont think I could possibly be in starvation mode at all. When I say take a break I mean I eat at maintenance for awhile sometimes a few months. And I know how to do this since I had been at the same weight for a few years. Not gaining or loosing. Anyways, with a 500 cal deficit I was eating 2100 calories a day. Since maintenance for me s 2600 on days I work and 2100 on my days off. (I have a bodymedia fit, some days at work I actually burn 2900 for the day, food server) So even with a 1000 cal deficit I would eat 1400-1600. I eat 30% 30% fats and 40% carbs though sometimes I am under on carbs over on protein and fats. I dont log here on mfp since getting my bodymedia. Simply to much loging for me. But my subscription wont last forever and I love all of you on here to much to not log in here and get support. Anyways I eat REALLY often. Usually every 3-4 hours. I can never go more then 4 hours or my energy levels dip to low. I munch on dry roasted almonds, bananas and string cheese while working. Thanks for the input though. Maybe I am just not being consistent enough with my measuring. I also have sleep eating but try to remember what I eat while sleeping but sometimes I know I miss stuff. This could be it
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's harder to lose weight the closer you are to a normal weight range for your body.

This could be it too. Maybe like you said I am just really close to what is considered average and healthy for my build. Maybe I need to put it at 1lb a week and just keep it there.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    your body could also be trying to maintain and get back to where it was... sometimes you have to give it more so it will release more. I think they call it resetting your metabolism...
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Could you post a credible source that supports the phenomenon of starvation mode? I see that being mentioned all over this board but I've come up with nothing proving it is real in any of my research. Maybe you guys know something I don't?