Spinach and Artichoke Soup

Options
csingleton24
csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
This is perfect when your craving the spinach and artichoke dip! Plus it's pretty quick to make. You can use a rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken from dinner.

DSC02287.jpg

Total time: about 20 minutes

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons EVOO
1 cup onions; sliced
1 tablespoon garlic; minced
2 cups chicken; shredded
1 can artichoke hearts in water; drained and quartered (13.75 oz)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups chicken broth; low sodium
1 1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
1/2 heavy cream
6 oz fresh spinach (8 cups)
1/2 parmesan; grated
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Saute onions and garlic in oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 minutes, then add chicken and artichokes. Saute 2 minutes, then stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze with wine and simmer until nearly evaporated, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in broth, milk, and cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add the spinach and Parmesan, and stir until spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper before serving. I serve mine with half a whole wheat pita bread cut into wedges.
Makes about 8 cups

Serving size: 1 cup
calories: 257
total fat: 14g
carbs: 15g
protein: 17g
fiber: 3g

Replies

• clairenoelle
    Options
    This sounds really good. I love spinach and artichoke dip, and this sounds fantastic. The only thing I would do that you haven't mentioned, though, is to possibly take a portion of the soup and stick it in the blender. From the picture you posted it looks like very separate portions-- base.veggies. By blending it I feel like you could get a thicker soup and incorporate the parts a little smoother. And then there's room to add more veggies! :happy: :tongue:

Thanks for posting this!
  • clairenoelle
    Options
    This sounds really good. I love spinach and artichoke dip, and this sounds fantastic. The only thing I would do that you haven't mentioned, though, is to possibly take a portion of the soup and stick it in the blender. From the picture you posted it looks like very separate portions-- base.veggies. By blending it I feel like you could get a thicker soup and incorporate the parts a little smoother. And then there's room to add more veggies! :happy: :tongue:

Thanks for posting this!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    This sounds great!

Mary