No Success again...

Options

Replies

• tinawharrison
    Options
    are you honestly tracking EVERYTHING you are eating and drinking????? :flowerforyou:

Absolutely everything that passess my lips... what's the point in cheating yourself????

milk and sugar in coffee??
    butter on bread?
    honestly am not picking fault but looking at your diary you don't seem to use these things, and if u don't eat them don't count them of course! but i know when i track a sandwich i usually for get the extra bits or i eat more cereal than i realise for example, now i weigh my jacket potatoes and chicken breast ect

try having a salad with your soup or chopped raw veggies with your sandwiches, bulk up your meals,

good luck! x

I don't have sugar and I count my skimmed milk...
    I don't use butter on my bread, I have it dry or have cheese spread and log it...
    I have a set of scales and I weigh everything, even my fruit!
    I really don't like salad but I could eat more veg for sure!!

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK - this may sound really counter-intuitive, but you look like you are not eating enough. Your base calories are set really low and you are not eating your exercise calories back. What do you have your weight loss goal set (per week) at and what is your activity level set at?

My weight loss goal is set at 1 and a half pounds a week and i'm set at sedentary...

MFP is really stingy on the activity - and based on your profile, you should be set at higher than sedentary, plus with 37lb to go you should set your goal at 1lb a week.

Or, go with Pu's calcuation he noted above. I find MFP settings to give me a target that is way too low for me. Using the weight * 10, it actually give me the same number I get using other calculators - and using that as my base (but adjusting for exercise) I am losing 1lb a week pretty consistently. [NB: I am a bit older than you so my metabolism should theoretically be a bit slower than yours).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What's your weight?

YOU CUT BACK EXERCISE AND INCREASE CALORIES THE SAME WEEK?!?!?

Pu - stop shouting at the poor lady :tongue:

I've not shouted at anyone :cry:

I was giving PU a hard time (caps lock = shouting) - not you:flowerforyou:
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    one thing i would do is to make sure you are using the correct nutritional info for each item you have on your diary. I saw somethings that say there is NO sodium like chinese food when we know theres lots of sodium in Chinese food. There were other items too that have sodium that were logged with none. If your sodium is high then you will be holding water and weight.
    Also try to eat more veggies and are you drinking your water?

I have been stuck for a while and now am trying to low carb low sugar. No more than 6 net carbs a day and no more than 15units of sugar a day. Sometimes you have to change things up to kick your body system back into losing.

Good luck
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    OK - this may sound really counter-intuitive, but you look like you are not eating enough. Your base calories are set really low and you are not eating your exercise calories back. What do you have your weight loss goal set (per week) at and what is your activity level set at?

My weight loss goal is set at 1 and a half pounds a week and i'm set at sedentary...

MFP is really stingy on the activity - and based on your profile, you should be set at higher than sedentary, plus with 37lb to go you should set your goal at 1lb a week.

Or, go with Pu's calcuation he noted above. I find MFP settings to give me a target that is way too low for me. Using the weight * 10, it actually give me the same number I get using other calculators - and using that as my base (but adjusting for exercise) I am losing 1lb a week pretty consistently. [NB: I am a bit older than you so my metabolism should theoretically be a bit slower than yours).

I have a very under-active thyroid so my metabolism is very very slow! This is why I struggle with eating more because the weight won't come off for sure! it takes a lot for me to lose a single pound! I just don't get why, for a month, I've only lost 2lbs!! I'm working so hard :cry:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    one thing i would do is to make sure you are using the correct nutritional info for each item you have on your diary. I saw somethings that say there is NO sodium like chinese food when we know theres lots of sodium in Chinese food. There were other items too that have sodium that were logged with none. If your sodium is high then you will be holding water and weight.
    Also try to eat more veggies and are you drinking your water?

I have been stuck for a while and now am trying to low carb low sugar. No more than 6 net carbs a day and no more than 15units of sugar a day. Sometimes you have to change things up to kick your body system back into losing.

Good luck

If you read my food note for that day, it says the chinese was an estimate as it was a take away. I've been told not to eat lots of carbs after 4pm but you should eat at least 100g of carbs a day for your body to survive! Doctors orders...
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    are you honestly tracking EVERYTHING you are eating and drinking????? :flowerforyou:

Absolutely everything that passess my lips... what's the point in cheating yourself????

milk and sugar in coffee??
    butter on bread?
    honestly am not picking fault but looking at your diary you don't seem to use these things, and if u don't eat them don't count them of course! but i know when i track a sandwich i usually for get the extra bits or i eat more cereal than i realise for example, now i weigh my jacket potatoes and chicken breast ect

try having a salad with your soup or chopped raw veggies with your sandwiches, bulk up your meals,

good luck! x

I don't have sugar and I count my skimmed milk...
    I don't use butter on my bread, I have it dry or have cheese spread and log it...
    I have a set of scales and I weigh everything, even my fruit!
    I really don't like salad but I could eat more veg for sure!!

i couldnt live with out a little sugar and butter haha!
    well good luck! but i definitely would try eating more! even if your not comfortable uping your cals ditch the coffee for a snack and spice things up a little! this is probably just a plateau! your half way to goal! dont give up and believe in yourself!

maybe, aim to just loose 1 lb a week???
    it will slow the closer to goal you get!
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    umm Don't cut your exercise back that helps a lot and what exercises are you doing?? But its 70% Diet and 30% gym so if your not losing weight its what your eating and how much. I eat oatmeal egg whites, brown rice , sweet potatoes, chicken, lean turnkey meat, fish, tuna, and broccoli, asparagus, spinage, but certain things at certain times and I measure out my portions. but don't give up and keep going you can do it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I have a very under-active thyroid so my metabolism is very very slow! This is why I struggle with eating more because the weight won't come off for sure! it takes a lot for me to lose a single pound! I just don't get why, for a month, I've only lost 2lbs!! I'm working so hard :cry:

Got it....could you get your metabolism checked (i.e. calibrated, or whatever the correct word for it is) - it would give you a much better idea of how much you should be eating. Also, I would suggest throwing in some strength training - adding muscle will increase your metabolism.

In the mean time, I would really suggest upping your calories, at lease by resetting your activity level and going to 1 lb a week.

Sorry you are having such a hard time - hang in there - if you are eating below your total calories expended - you will lose weight.
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    I just glanced at your diary, I can tell you first off its probably your diet why your not losing weight. Plus drinking any kind of alcohol pretty much destroys almost a full week of exercising depending on how many you have. Soda is also a big problem, water or green tea is the best. just some info
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    I just glanced at your diary, I can tell you first off its probably your diet why your not losing weight. Plus drinking any kind of alcohol pretty much destroys almost a full week of exercising depending on how many you have. Soda is also a big problem, water or green tea is the best. just some info

I guess i'll stay the same weight for ever then? I've lost a fair bit so far with the odd night out and a low calorie alcoholic drink that is counted in my daily allowance...

Life is for living, after all! :laugh:
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I guess i'll stay the same weight for ever then? I've lost a fair bit so far with the odd night out and a low calorie alcoholic drink that is counted in my daily allowance...

Have you thought of having a break from your limits for a day or 2 to give your body a shock?
    I have a 'splurge day' every week (which I log even though it is terrifying reading) where I eat and drink anything I want and I'm losing 1 lb a week pretty constantly.

Whatever you do, REMEMBER, you're doing something right as you've already lost lots of weight and this is just a blip that you WILL get over.

Good Luck
    Nicola :flowerforyou:
  • tinawharrison
    Options

Have you thought of having a break from your limits for a day or 2 to give your body a shock?
    I have a 'splurge day' every week (which I log even though it is terrifying reading) where I eat and drink anything I want and I'm losing 1 lb a week pretty constantly.

Whatever you do, REMEMBER, you're doing something right as you've already lost lots of weight and this is just a blip that you WILL get over.

Good Luck
    Nicola :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I did the 'eat what you want for a day' approach and guess what? I put on 2 pounds!! My metabolism is so ridiculous! I will keep going though because you are all so encouraging! Thanks for taking the time to read and help!

:happy:
  • jeremysherriff
    Options
    Check your BMR! (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator) This is the minimum amount of calories you need to take in to make sure you body doesn't believe you're starving. :smile: It will likely be much higher than your goal calories. Then, make sure you exercise enough to get your calories back down to your goal.

Also, remember that muscle mass burns calories - so include at least some type of strength exercises in your routines.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina, I know how discouraging it can be not to lose weight week after week but please don't give up - you have done so well! I just wondered how much you lost in March? Maybe if you lost a fair amount then - your body is just hanging on to what it has until you give it a kick start again. Some years ago I lost a similar amount of weight - 2 stones - with WW and then I just got stuck, and for 7 weeks I never lost a thing but I kept at it and eventually started losing again. So I hope that for you this will start to resolve itself very soon - and just think to yourself how much better the new Tina feels as opposed to the old fatter less fit Tina. Keep going! :smile:
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I was going to say the Same thing. Alcohol slows your weight loss down HEAPS. Each nip is worth 30 mins plus\s of EXTRA exercise to burn it off. And it Slows your metabolism more because your liver has to work harder to rid itself of the toxins from it. It can take days for your body to recover well enough again to help metabolise food properly. Hard spirits are worse. IF you are going to drink white spirits are sightly better and I would mix with Diet sodas . BUT prepare for repercussions.I gram of Alcohol is comparable to a gram of Fat. Fat is 9 calories per gram and alcohol is 7 per gram. it also means that any alcohol your body has is being burnt off FIRST instead of food. So calories from Food are instantly stored.

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_alcohol/calories_in_spirit_brands.html
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi There, Tina. So, you've increased your water intake for approximately 1 week - which is good (since before that your water intake was 0), but you still could use more water. Also, out of that same week there are at least 2 days where you leave over 400 calories on the books. It's going to take a little more effort on your part to balance things out and then patience is key too; i.e. one week of minor changes isn't going to change everything immediately. Give it another week, try to drink even more water and not leave as many calories on the books. I'm just sharing with you what has worked for me. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    Trust me this is no walk in the park and slow weight loss is better than no weight loss...I'm sure most people didn't gain 10lbs in 1 month so I guess we shouldn't expect to lose that much either...

Stay positive and find what works for you...I've been losing since 2008 and it does fluctuate...but I can say I look and feel better I started on MFP approx 16months ago and have lost approx 22-26lbs which is pretty good..

I try to loose 1-4lbs a month so that I can keep it off...I only weigh once a month and measure once a month...alternate between cardio and strength exercises....also maintain my sodium intake to approx 2,000-2,500 daily...so make sure you check your sodium intake and your not going over it makes a big difference...no matter how much water you drink or how much you work out if your over in the sodium you will retain water weight...

Best of Luck and always "Motivate YourSelf"..

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar

Following your passion isn’t effortless. There are many who think it should be, which is another obstacle holding them back from taking action. This is not a walk in the park. It’s a path of rapid growth. It contains both joy and fear. But you can change your life and along the way change someone else's...don't give up..its only the beginning...:drinker:
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. I am not getting anywhere either. I work so hard at it. I am so very disappointed in myself. I am at a lose myself
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had a two week stability but since then it has been dropping off nicely.
    It actualy works out at the 2lb per week average I was hoping for but my muscle tone is much better too. I have abs, although they are still hidden behind some fat.

Keep momentum and try not to change too much, desperation often leads to failure, just be patient, its just simple maths, if you arnt really tired all the time your eating enough to match your activity levels. You body generally tells you when your messing up.

Patience is the key, the is nothing wrong with doing the right things.