BMR- how correct is it really?

Options
I was just wondering how correct the BMR is on MFP or anywhere for that matter.
I'm starting to think I have had a slow meatabolic rate so wouldn't that make a difference to my BMR?
After a very long plateau I have now started to lose again but am eating way under my BMR.
This reallt makes me wonder how accurate it really is.
Is there a way to find out what it really is without lying around all day doing nothing but wearing a HRM?
Any clue?

Replies

• aspen_matthews
    Options
    You can get your metabolism measured directly with a Metacheck test. It's really simple to get done and is very accurate. Not sure what places around you may offer it but you may want to call around. It also shows where your metabolism is compared to average. BMR measures metabolism based on averages.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate the MFP BMR is to start with. MFP says mine is 1440, the average of other sites is 1580 or something.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You can get your metabolism measured directly with a Metacheck test. It's really simple to get done and is very accurate. Not sure what places around you may offer it but you may want to call around. It also shows where your metabolism is compared to average. BMR measures metabolism based on averages.

I am very interested to find out if any one here at MFP has has that Metacheck test done.

Would be great to then compare the MFP-calculated BMR against the Metacheck test results !

Anyone ??
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I looked that up and can't find anything about it here at all.
    Least I know you can get it checked now, so will look into it further.
    Thanks
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The problem is you can suppress your metabolism my not eating enough.

Many times the test just proves what needs to be done, eat more.

And BMR test would be sleeping for many hours, the tests are for Resting Metabolic Rate, RMR. You can backtrack to BMR through 2 formulas.

If used to think you need to lower your eating level even more - you'll just slow it down even more.

The more useful test would be a bodyfat BodPod test. Why?

The Harris and Mifflin BMR calcs are from studies based on healthy weight folks, with avg LBM/Fat ratios. Usually when overweight, your LBM is not as great. Therefore those estimates are inflated BMR.
    The Katch BMR calc based on LBM is much more accurate, but when overweight, it is actually deflated, because it doesn't take into account the extra fat that actually takes energy to support. Yes, your body expends energy on fat cells. Not as much as muscle at least.

Here is example of how the metabolism can be messed up, and how the test would be useful.

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.

An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).

After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).

The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to find out what it really is without lying around all day doing nothing but wearing a HRM?
    Any clue?

and this is useless, because the HRM calc's for calorie is based on HR being in the aerobic zone, 90-150 bpm.

Here is study if interested.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Any estimator is an AVERAGE. Alot of people are below that average, alot of people are above it. That's why it's an average.

You can get a personalized test for yours from a doctor if you are that curious.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyones input, I've read through it. I do get quite confused as if I eat near my BMR that MFP tells me I am then I gain weight. I seem to have to keep 200 or more calories under it to keep losing.
    Thanks