New here... why do strength exercises not count?

Options
I was wondering why is it that when I enter strength exercises they do not use any calories? Surely when doing strength exercises I will be burning calories? I do about about an hour of strength exercises 3 or 4 times a week on top of cardio I would like to take this into account with my calorie intake/outgoings.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    far too many variables to make accurate predictions of caloric consumption by the body during lifts
  • ChesterAyers
    ChesterAyers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why is it that when I enter strength exercises they do not use any calories? Surely when doing strength exercises I will be burning calories? I do about about an hour of strength exercises 3 or 4 times a week on top of cardio I would like to take this into account with my calorie intake/outgoings.

Under Cardio search for "strength training" and it will show up under that as an estimate for lifting weights. Key word = estimate.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's hard to calculate, but if you want to guesstimate, just enter your strength workouts as "calisthenics" under cardio.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    Yeah it does. "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" is the one i use.

It feeds you like 280 cals per hours. But always only count 100 per day. Until I get the HMR.
  • vmdking
    vmdking Posts: 8
    Options
    Ah thanks guys and girls. I was putting down individual exercises and was confused as they were not showing up the calories but I will just guesstimate now and just put the time down. It's better than nothing at all and gives me a better idea of what I am consuming as such...

Cheers
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 2x a week with my trainer and she told me to use 350 as calories burn. Yes, it is hard to figure out the calories but she said to use that as a ball park. She works me hard for that half hour as well. I'm losing around a pound a week.

Good luck!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Your best option for any exercise you have to guesstimate, is to always down play your effort. Example: If I go cycling for 120 minutes, It will give an option for "moderate pace 12-14 mph" or vigorous pace 14-16 MPH" Even if I think I probably was going mostly vigorously, I will choose the moderate pace option. This way, I create a little wiggle room with my calorie intake/calories burned.

It is always better to take a little away, than to over allow food consumption. (Granted you are still staying roughly within to deficiency goals"
  • doobyden
    doobyden Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't mind that I'm not logging calories for strength training, I like having a buffer in case I go over. It can get silly and a bit obsessive if I balance the books to the nearest cal!
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    It counts if you time it and log under strength training or buy yourself a HRM device and keep up with your caloric burn there...

Best Wishes and Make it Happen!!!:smile:
  • vmdking
    vmdking Posts: 8
    Options
    Cheers guys, I thought it would be best to go for the lower amounts. Alot of my working out is supersets or trisets so I'm working hard with minimal rest inbetween sets.

I think its hard as it depends on the person, one mans vigorous pace is another mans moderate etc but like you say jesse if I set the lower then I will not be eating too many calories.

I've lost about 9lbs this month and I'm not looking to lose too much more, just a couple more pounds and then looking to bulk up a little, get rid of the jiggly bits etc and then get tight...
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    Ah thanks guys and girls. I was putting down individual exercises and was confused as they were not showing up the calories but I will just guesstimate now and just put the time down. It's better than nothing at all and gives me a better idea of what I am consuming as such...

Cheers

I also put down the individual exercises. I "copy to date" the training a did that day from last week. It is also a Non Scale Victory when I can report that I weight lifted 5 pounds more than last week. It happens often for me! :-)
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    Ive done a session at the gym with a HRM and it was over 80 the whole time (up to 170+ when actually lifting) and according to my calculations (cheap hrm doesnt tell me), 45 minutes of this (at my age/weight) is fairly close to what MFP estimates so im happy with that number.

It barely covers the calories from my protein shake afterwards thou.