About oatmeal

Hi everyone!
I would like to know if homemade oatmeal could make me fat. I'm from Spain and I buy a brand of soft oats (not sure what "soft oats" truly mean) called Brüggen. They're not flavored and they're not instant according to the label. I've never made instant oatmeal so i don't know how fast that one gets cooked this one is ready very fast.
For dieting purposes i cook the oats in a pan with water and artificial sweetener (aspartame). I use 45 grams (1.59 ounces) of oats, when they're at the desired consistency I add 100ml (3.38 fl oz). of skimmed milk, I let it sit for some minutes and I have them for breakfast.

Is my 'recipe' for low fat oatmeal wrong? Can i eat that every day maybe even twice a day?
I'm having trouble losing weight after 8 months of dieting success, i don't know if should blame the oats, which i started eating two months ago.

Thanks a lot!!!

Replies

• prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    It's not the oats. They are low Gi, High fibre and very heart friendly ( Help lower blood cholesterol even). What else do you eat? Do you add Sugar or any kind of sweetener to them??

Can you provide a link to the oats??i looked online and could not find and soft oats in that brand.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    50 % carbs and 50 GI ? not a fan personally. Sugar.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    No one thing can make you fat. It's simply eating over your maintenance calories that add fat, not individual foods.
    Unless you are a diabetic there is no reason to worry about sugar or glycemic index. it is possible that if you have lost a significant amount of weight in the last 8 months, your maintenance calories will be less than when you started. You might need to readjust your daily calorie intake, or add more cardio, and see if the weight starts coming off again.

If the oatmeal fits in your daily calorie goals, then enjoy!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Thank you for your replies!

This is the link to the oats http://www.brueggen.com/en/5/pa:1/pg:11/pid:2471/p:brueggen-oats/products-and-markets.html

I don't add anything to the oats, just aspartame. I don't eat sugars and i follow a low fat, low carb, low dairy diet. No processed foods
    I'm quite certain that i don't eat over my maintensnce levels and i exercise a lot. I burn like 800 calories daily.

According to myfitnesspal i do eat too little. But i don't know how to eat more calories without adding fats or sugar!!! Sounds weird but it's the truth. I've been blaming the oats lol
    Maybe i should eat more :( but i feel stuffed all day long!

I became addicted to oatmeal while vacationing in the US so i came up with this low fat -low taste version but it tastes good actually! :D

Thanks!!!
  • I eat a 1/4 cup of old fashioned oatmeal every morning. I do not add sugar. I eat mine with a yogurt called Kroger Carb Master. It is adviced that you off set the carb with a protein which is in the oatmeal as well as in the yogurt. The yogurt acts as a sweetner for the oatmeal. This is working well for me. I some time for variety will not do the yogurt and add 1 packet of Truvia for a sweetner and add a boiled egg to the menu for my protein. As far as the cooking. I just add water to the oat just over the top of the oats in a bowl and then microwave for 45 seconds. May be a little cleaner and easier. Good luck.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Thank you for your ideas! I have mixed it with yoghurt some times... I didn't know that it was advisable to put some protein in it. I don't think we have thst proteic yoghurt here though.
    I just made it and had it with a side piece of cheese. I'll try microwaving it next time I make it :D
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Oatmeal is hugely hug on carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates cause body fat.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    I have eaten oatmeal almost every morning since I began this weight loss journey. It will NOT, in and of itself, make you fat. It provides good fiber, and I truly consider it a healthy breakfast choice, as it also helps with cholesterol as well. I use just a little brown sugar and some cinnamon on it.
    Kaye
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    I have eaten oatmeal almost every morning since I began this weight loss journey. It will NOT, in and of itself, make you fat. It provides good fiber, and I truly consider it a healthy breakfast choice, as it also helps with cholesterol as well. I use just a little brown sugar and some cinnamon on it.
    Kaye

This. I add LSA Mix to mine even.